Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question: Why are admin allowing blatant fakes to be advertised here?

Article about: How is it that articles that are obviously FAKE have been allowed to be advertised on this forum in recent weeks? I would be interested to know the opinions of mod's and fellow members who m

Default Question: Why are admin allowing blatant fakes to be advertised here?

How is it that articles that are obviously FAKE have been allowed to be advertised on this forum in recent weeks?

I would be interested to know the opinions of mod's and fellow members who must know this too, but choose to say nothing.

There are several being advertised today (21 November). Why is this being allowed? I am sure that the admin would not allow valued members to be fleeced by these hail-fellow-well met shysters at any time, so what has occured to allow this risible turn of events to come about in these last few weeks?

A further example of this was shown recently, when one of the forums biggest advertisers/sponsors offered a Felderenhalle helmet that was a blatant fake.

If i am mistaken in any way, i apologise sincerely, but this is a question asked without malice, only concern about what appears to be ,for whatever means, poor judgement. If i have to hang for this, so be it, but my opinion(and that is all it is) was considered a good while before i chose to post this thread.

Absit Invidia, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Default Re: Question: Why are admin allowing blatant fakes to be advertised here?

That helmet was a mine for over 8 years and I've traded it for a couple of month ago. Even from a hand inspection I will never say it's fake, how did you recognize it's fake? I'am just wondered
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Default Re: Question: Why are admin allowing blatant fakes to be advertised here?

With the greatest of respect Dim,

you may never say it's fake, but how many others will say it's real? The decal remains are so degraded, real or not real, who can honestly and with certainty, say that this is an example of one of the rarest helmets in the world? You maybe, but not me and many,many others too. Has it been commented on by the main helmet experts on this forum? I would appreciate their opinions, with no disrespect to your goodself.

Too many things go unquestioned, and furthermore, what about the other items i have asked about? As a senior mod here, and therefore someone in the know, just what is your opinions on these items, good or bad?

I look forward to your opinions Dim.

Regards, ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hello Ned,

I have to say that I am not qualified enough to say if the items are fake or not, but if what you suggest is true then it is a big problem on a forum that I have always thought items placed for sale would be scrutinized by the mods, or at least other long time members.

Even if they are not called blatant fakes on an open forum, then the mods could have a quiet word in the sellers shell like, and have the offending items removed to help protect their members

Spence

I often remove bad items from the listings after informing the sellers that they are bad. I have only just signed on this morning and I am yet to look down the sales threads.

But I would urge anyone with any concerns about an item offered for sale here to start a thread in the appropriate forum about said item. This is allowed under the forum rules. Also add a link to the sales thread to say this item is being disscused. What I would say though is only reply with solid factual info and the reasons. A reply of "I don't like it" is not fair on the seller.

We all have to watch out for each other here, and putting the onus just on the Mods and Admins is not fair. We can only do so much. Believe it or not I do sleep! The forum is a community and looking after one anothers interests is a big part of that. But, of course, the final responsibilty rests on the shoulders of the buyer to know exactly what they are buying. As always the old Roman adage of "Buyer Beware!" applies just as much here as anywhere else.

One other point I would like to make about protecting yourself. If you see an item listed, correctly described and with a few photos, but priced at a fraction of true market value, you need to start asking questions. If you want to buy, get the seller to provide current dated photos, say with todays newspaper to prove he actually owns the item in question.

Cheers, Ade.

We all have to watch out for each other here, and putting the onus just on the Mods and Admins is not fair.
    Here Here!
    I normally wouldnt buy online unless it was from one of the (in my own mind) trusted members.
    If anyone feels an item is not original, then speak up and let us all know!

Thanks
    Dan

?

then the question should be is there not away of barring new member's from selling anything until they prove them selves a trusted member or has a recommendation from an existing trusted member ???????

?

Quote by SpenceMortlock View Post
    Hello Ned,

I have to say that I am not qualified enough to say if the items are fake or not, but if what you suggest is true then it is a big problem on a forum that I have always thought items placed for sale would be scrutinized by the mods, or at least other long time members.

Even if they are not called blatant fakes on an open forum, then the mods could have a quiet word in the sellers shell like, and have the offending items removed to help protect their members

Spence
    This is an ongoing part of the moderation of the forum , however has been already pointed out all members have a collective responsibilty here as we all have our respective areas of collecting and knowledge etc.
    Certainly items put up for sale are challenged by the mods if it is felt that an item is fake or not as described but ALL members have the opportunity to do this and begin a discussion amongst the members about any item posted for sale.

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I have now been through all the sale threads. I cannot find a single one which causes me real concerns as to originality. Bar the SS bayonet which I commented on in the sales thread last night.

Selling on the forum: I can tell you now, there is NO foolproof way of preventing fraud. If someone is determinded to con people, they will do it.

Minimum posts counts etc would have no effect.

As I said before, protect yourself, do your homework on the seller. We do have a feedback system in operation.

Cheers, Ade.

Just to update you: the fake SS bayonet has been removed at the posters request after I informed him it was a fake/fantasy item.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast