Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

The Real Heroes

Article about: I didn't know where to post this however, I feel that it's fitting since D-Day is tomorrow. I read a letter to the editor in my local newspaper this morning that really makes you think about

Default The Real Heroes

I didn't know where to post this however, I feel that it's fitting since D-Day is tomorrow.

I read a letter to the editor in my local newspaper this morning that really makes you think about who are today's so called heroes in baseball who our kids and yes, adults look up to and regard, for some unknown reason, as heroes.

The article went on to say: While I was watching baseball on a Sunday night the announcers told us about former players that interrupted their careers to serve in the military. I know of Ted Williams, Bob Feller, Phil Rizzoto, Hank Bauer, Gerry Coleman, Billy Martin, just to name a few.

I was thinking that since 9/11 we have been fighting two wars. So can anyone out there name one active baseball player who has the guts to join the military?

Also, how many can one name that have taken some kind of drug the improve themselves?

Our kids today can name more players that cheat than serve in the service. Remember when Joba Chamberlain got caught driving drunk and made a remark about Yogi Berra" Well, Instead of driving drunk, Yogi was invading Normandy Beach. So who are the real baseball heroes?

Default Re: The Real Heroes

Good thread Richard, there are no names who come mind. As a matter of fact i don't recall any player of any pro. sport in the U.S. other than the poor guy from the Arizona Cardinal football team (god bless his him) who gave his life in the Afgan. war.

The difference between then and now is the huge contracts that over pay players. The love of the sport is not enough like in Ted Williams days.

D-day tomorrow, God bless freedom!

rgds, Tyrone

I admire professional athletes for their talents, but I have never held them in awe. My heroes have always been the ones who served in the military and gave their lives. I drove to work this morning about the time (locally) that the first waves were going ashore on the beaches.

Quote by Brian Childress View Post
    I admire professional athletes for their talents, but I have never held them in awe. My heroes have always been the ones who served in the military and gave their lives. I drove to work this morning about the time (locally) that the first waves were going ashore on the beaches.
    Hi Brian ... Where are you located? D-Day for me is tomorrow.

Ah CRAP, LOL! It is only the 4th isn't it. Long day and I wasn't awake this morning. I will rethink this on the 6th. Midway, D-day same thing. No really though, I try to have a little quiet time to reflect on the anniversary of these pivital battles.

Richard,
    Wonderful thread, I'm 62 and have had the exact same thoughts.
    Thank you for taking the time to type them. We must remember the past or we will lose the future. Amen. John

Hi Guys,

this is, so far a very American sport related thread.Please take the time to look at the England and Yorkshire cricketer Hedley Verity's career on Wikipedia.He was a superb first class cricketer who once took 10 wickets for 10 runs against Warickshire, unprecedented at that time.He died of wounds in Italy in 1943.His potential as possibly one of the greatest english players ever snuffed out by war.Please punch in 'Hedley Verity' on Wikipedia to read about the career of one of the best players who's real potential was never realised.I proudly say he 'was made of good old Yorkshire stuff '.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Ned, my point is that todays american athletes play for money (most of the time not always) but anything pre-1975 athlete's played for the love of the game no matter what country they are from.

You made a good point this thread is U.S. only but sport's world wide has gone money crazy no matter what sport it is. Hedley Verity was a great athlete who gave his life for the cause. He played for the love of the game. Those days are gone forever that's why it is important for us as older folks who appreciate the past and their accomplishments. It is important to pass down to our children or young ones why things are they are today.

rgds, Tyrone

Hi Ty,

I understand your point, and wholeheartedly agree with your comments.We've got guys over here get paid 135 grand a week for kicking a bag of wind up and down the park and know bugger all, nor care for the sacrifices made so that they can live their fairytale lifestyles.It's enough to maye you weep.

Kind Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.