Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

reccomendations for Amsterdam?

Article about: I'll be in Amsterdam for the first time next month. Does anyone know anywhere good to go?

Thanks everyone. I'll see what I can do!

The resistance museum is worth a visit, but if you don't smoke weed or you aint interested in prostitutes there really isn't much to see in Amsterdam!...

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    The resistance museum is worth a visit, but if you don't smoke weed or you aint interested in prostitutes there really isn't much to see in Amsterdam!...
    Not totally true mate, plenty to see in the Dam, the already mentioned Resistance museum, also the Jewish history museum, Rembrandt house, Reichs museum, Van gogh museum, maybe not much military history on display, but they got rid of a lot of it after the war as they did not want to be reminded about it.

A new display is on nieuwe kaisersgracht, the shadow wall, remembering all the jewish residents who were sent to the camps during the wall.

Also a good militaria dealer in the Jordaan district.

Also from the dam you can get the fast ferry to Ijmuiden which has an amazing array of atlantik wall bunkers including a huge E boat pen/building.

Also the national army museum in Delft is not too far and well worth a visit IMO.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    Not being a native of Amsterdam I'm afraid I don't know the names of them but on a Sunday they are everywhere, from art related ones to the more usual flea market bric-a-brac types. Maybe someone more familiar with the city can identify these locations that have flea markets, the first one having an art related one. We just left the hotel and went for a walk and there were so many to choose from that we couldn't spend time at them all. There is one just around the corner from the main train station which is supposed to be good (and is listed on th tourist maps)...
    Attachment 706305 Attachment 706306
    Rembrandts plein with all the soldiers and the Waag (weigh station) on the Neiuwemarkt, which has antiques on a Sunday morning, organic food on other days.

To the SE of the latter is the large flea market on waterlooplein, every day except sundays. Like most such markets, lots of tourist tat and other crap, but also some militaria in amongst it all.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Jerry is wright. There is a lot to see in amsterdam but you have to know where to find it and know the history. The last picture is "de waag"and in one of the small towers rembrand made his painting " anatomische les ". And it is still there. Remember that "de nieuw markt" where you can find this was also a mean part of the ghetto of amsterdam and there are some pictures present there. If you like a good beer. There is a great brewery in the same area called "de bekeerde zuster "and the make the beer in the cafe and you can see it all...these are al near the red light district and all in 300 meters..there is lots more but check it on internet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2