Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Relics as art

Article about: These things are pretty common now at Militaria fairs in the UK and some of them are quite good , i'm not tempted myself as i think the prices are way over the top , 600 dollars is crazy unl

Default Relics as art

OK, firstly I am not trying to start an international incident with this thread, just wanting to openly discuss a topic relating to our hobby.

Having said that, there is a seller on an online auction site that sells painted scenes ( vignettes if you will ) on relic helmets and other artifacts. Here are some examples .....

He / she / they are of course catering mainly for the general public but regularly realise prices in the many hundreds of dollars, far outstripping the value of an unadorned piece of rusted metal. As we know, where there is demand .........!!!!

Now, doing this would go against the grain for most collectors but one has to admit there is a good degree of artistry involved in producing them. I for one would NOT buy one as I like a relic "in the raw" but I can see the appeal they have to some people ( even some collectors )

The reason for this thread is to discuss the general feelings of the forum - is this art?.... or wanton destruction / defacement of a relic? Does it enhance or detract from the piece by turning it into a canvas?

Spleen venting or high praise are both welcome....... :)

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Default Re: Relics as art

Pretty good artwork but i'd prefer relics to be left as a relic!....

I quite like the items you have shown Dan.
    I have been guilty in the past of just discarding relics pretty much near to where I found them in the hope that I would come across the Motherload.
    Yes, I would have either on display in my office but as a piece of artwork I think they would make a better talikng point.
    Just my opinion
    Doug

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Pretty good artwork but i'd prefer relics to be left as a relic!....
    I agree, i like my art work as well as militaria, however i don't feel there is a need to combine the two. I would much prefer to have the relic in its original state, and then the artwork on a canvas. Just my opinion.

The "NUTS" M1 went for over $600 ..... and the brodies more than $300 each ......I was quite astounded!!

Nice stuff. I like relics as relics mostly but i wouldn't mind having a helmet with an artistic look too.
    There is a member here and waf who do this assignments.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

When I think of an hourly rate and the time one would take to do such a scene ( metal preparation and all ), several hundred dollars is not a lot of money to pay ( or a fantastic monetary return either ). I'm sure bidders also realise the amount of skill this takes to accomplish.

?

I would prefer to see relics left as they are and preserved for what they are but if these pieces are preserved in this way and people will buy them and look after them, what's the problem?

Is it any different to our 1000 post helmet world tour? A relic has been preserved, re-painted and is being sent across the globe for us to adorn with our artwork. Should it have been left too......?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I would prefer to see relics left as they are and preserved for what they are but if these pieces are preserved in this way and people will buy them and look after them, what's the problem?

Is it any different to our 1000 post helmet world tour? A relic has been preserved, re-painted and is being sent across the globe for us to adorn with our artwork. Should it have been left too......?
    Valid point! ....... thanks to all so far for chipping in with POV's.

i dont like it when people mess with the relic i mean i can understand a piece of crap mabye but thoose helmets i agree they look nice but i dont think it should be done

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast