Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Reproductions...do you have them in your collection??

Article about: G'day all, Here I am again on one of my " medicated musings" I have a few repros in my collection....I use the term repro ratchet than fake becsuse I knowingly bought them fully aw

JMM
    ?

Default Re: Reproductions...do you have them in your collection??

Quote by AMTG View Post
    But if the person your buying them from is upfront, and i know it's not always the case, then I think there is a place for repros, what happens to them after, is the problem.....and the fun thing I do, is that wheni get a real pice to replace, I often give the repro to a mates kids, and it peaks their interest in collecting
    I agree with you. IMO there's a place for orgs and a place for repros. As long as you know what is what and it's identifyed and bought as such, I don't see a problem with that. The same happens with movie pros and prop replicas (yes I also have a few repros myself - actually that's how I started collecting originals...)

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen

Please dont let repros infiltate and pollute this forum ! IMO this is a forum for genuine period items and it needs to stay that way

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Quote by Stickgrenade View Post
    Please dont let repros infiltate and pollute this forum ! IMO this is a forum for genuine period items and it needs to stay that way

Nick
    Nick i've got to totally agree with this comment , this is a forum for original items or the discussion of items which are purporting to be original , posting fakes and copies with a view to trying to make them look acceptable and collectable in their own right which is what seems to be happening of late shouldn't be happening and i would discourage this practice for the sake of the forum and the future of collecting , if we go down a road where fake / repro rubbish assumes the mantle of original collectables then we might as well all pack in ,

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Dosent The Member "Adler" Have a Garde du Corps helmet. Cause i thought ive seen one before.
    Thanks
    Ryan

Thank you,Well said

?

Reproductions are a fact of life in collecting..yes this forum is for discussion of authentic items, but the ever present specter of the reproduction is always around.

By your logic,with much respect, the fact that a repro can take away from a collection, then where do museums stand, thst have a reproduction of an item....for instance a MK1 world war one tank???? I know that's a big leap from most of our collections, but having a repro of a tank, in a well respected collection such as the Australian war memorial, does that mean their collection is tainted? Or the replica A7V in the panzer museum....only one such tank exist as oiginal, here in Australia....but does not having a replica still educate??? Again a huge leap fom someone wanting a GPB, not being able to afford one , and buying a repro to fill a hole in their collection....just using the analogy as an example....

Repros arent everyone's cup of tea, and opens the way to fakers etc, I agree totally....but if I were to take my manaquin, with a mixture of repro and authentic items down to the local school or ex servicemans lub as part of a display, as I have done in the past, does the inclusion of replicas within that display detract from the overall portrayal of what a German infantry man looked like????

?

Quote by operaman View Post
    That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen
    Are you referring to the helmet or the thread???

?

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    My only "repro"... authentic post-war M.33 Italian helmet that I got made to look like a wartime Alpine troop (Alpini). I've never seen an authentic one for sale...

Attachment 318722Attachment 318723Attachment 318721

I also have a few repro items on my rifles. For example, cleaning rods and leather slings on my Russian capture K98k and Type 99 Arisaka rifle. The real deal would be WAY expensive, and would probably cost more than the individual rifles I'd attach them to (all my rifles are shooters, not really display pieces)...
    You've done a nice job with that helmet.....

?

Quote by stuka f View Post
    Something like thise;
    Attachment 318736[
    Wow very impressive...be a bugger to wear though!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast