MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

RIP Sven Hassel

Article about: by Scout Well, you are in 'luck' then A movie has been made. Yes , 'Wheels of Terror' a dreadful movie! http://www.dansmith.info/hassel/books2.asp?Book=2 Nick

?

Default Re: RIP Sven Hassel

B Hellquist says it so well over on Axishistory – he sums it up far better than I:

Were Sven and his friends cloned? They sure needed to... I’m in the process of reading the books and taking notes, and some interesting things appear. According to “Legion of the Damned”, Sven was wounded in the battle of Kiev in November 1943, and was a convalescent in a military hospital for a while. At about the same time, he was fighting in Italy (“Monte Cassino”, autumn – winter 1943-44), but busy as always, Sven & Co were also in Berlin and northern Finland (“Court Martial”, autumn – winter 1943-44), and simultaneously involved in actions leading up to the battle of Cherkassy (“Wheels of Terror”, taking place in late autumn – winter 1943-44). Small wonder the stories are so action-packed, with Sven and friends zooming around on several fronts. I don’t know guys, but it is almost as if the stories are made up... (I’m a tad sarcastic here.) Well, they are still entertaining (mostly). Any more observations of Sven being in several places at the same time (like both in and outside of Stalingrad; see “SS General” and “March Battalion”, respectively)?

?

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Another excellent author who wrote hundreds of novels from the German point of view was Leo Kessler , real name Charles Whiting.

I loved these as much as sven hassel books

Nick
    Ah- Thank you thank you. I totally forgot about Leo Kessler. i had one book when iwas young. i belive it was called "hammer of gods??!!" or something like that. Anyway i am going to get myself these books now that the cold months are coming.

Wunderbar.. hoohoo.

?

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Another excellent author who wrote hundreds of novels from the German point of view was Leo Kessler , real name Charles Whiting.

I loved these as much as sven hassel books

Nick
    Leo Kessler! I forgot about him! Yes, I have his books, too...

Mike

- - Updated - -

Quote by Scout View Post
    B Hellquist says it so well over on Axishistory – he sums it up far better than I:

Were Sven and his friends cloned? They sure needed to... I’m in the process of reading the books and taking notes, and some interesting things appear. According to “Legion of the Damned”, Sven was wounded in the battle of Kiev in November 1943, and was a convalescent in a military hospital for a while. At about the same time, he was fighting in Italy (“Monte Cassino”, autumn – winter 1943-44), but busy as always, Sven & Co were also in Berlin and northern Finland (“Court Martial”, autumn – winter 1943-44), and simultaneously involved in actions leading up to the battle of Cherkassy (“Wheels of Terror”, taking place in late autumn – winter 1943-44). Small wonder the stories are so action-packed, with Sven and friends zooming around on several fronts. I don’t know guys, but it is almost as if the stories are made up... (I’m a tad sarcastic here.) Well, they are still entertaining (mostly). Any more observations of Sven being in several places at the same time (like both in and outside of Stalingrad; see “SS General” and “March Battalion”, respectively)?
    You do realize that Sven's books were novels, right? :^) Or maybe science fiction? :^)

Mike

?

Quote by M422A1 View Post

You do realize that Sven's books were novels, right? :^) Or maybe science fiction? :^)

Mike
    Thank you, I know the books are complete fiction. The author claimed otherwise and if you read the posts in this thread, evidently some believe, that the author was a great soldier.

The books can hardly be classified as science fiction, as the books are written about something in the past, which is not really how the concept of science fiction works.

?

Quote by daniel1234 View Post
    Great author and Great soilder R.I.P
    Or maybe not Daniel ....... but still worth a read !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

I think the lack of continuity between his books and historical inacuracies make it obvious nowadays that the works are fiction but based on certain actual events.

The fact they were written in the first person and loosely based on some genuine experiences has led to alot of confusion over them being 'real' and time has perpetuated the myth surrounding the works and the author.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Quote by Scout View Post
    Thank you, I know the books are complete fiction. The author claimed otherwise and if you read the posts in this thread, evidently some believe, that the author was a great soldier.

The books can hardly be classified as science fiction, as the books are written about something in the past, which is not really how the concept of science fiction works.
    I was joking about the science fiction part - him being in two places at once...

?

Doh!!!

Ahh, now I get it......., which means everybodys got it

I am like Scout, In France we know it is pure fiction since a long time, and we have Christian de La Mazières and others fighting on thr front.
    Christian de la Mazière - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

?

Quote by lebus12 View Post
    I am like Scout, In France we know it is pure fiction since a long time, and we have Christian de La Mazières and others fighting on thr front.
    Christian de la Mazière - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I have the book "The Captive Dreamer". It's been a long time since I read it. Seems like most of the book was about his captivity & life after the war. Didn't he join the FFL after WWII? Are his writings considered factual or fiction in France?

Mike

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast