Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

ROA in Warsaw 1944..??

Article about: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Warsaw_Uprising_-_Kaminski_(1944).jpg Commanding officer Major Ivan Denisovich Frolov (center) with the officers of the Russian Na

It is stug iii or stuh 42

I would say the Panzer in picture two is a Stug III Ausf. B

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    There's something else I just noticed... although it could be I am just seeing things.

The NCO standing in the background of the group and peeking between the two officers looks a lot like a man seen in a well-known photograph of Heinz Reinefarth during the Warsaw Rising (on the far right):

Attachment 706055

Could it be the same man?
    Great observation! It is definitely the same man in both photos. So this would mean a component of the ROA did play a role in the Warsaw Rising although I have yet to find a specific reference to this in the literature on the Rising. Apart from the Littlejohn work are there any other ROA reference works I should try and find?
    Last edited by StefanM; 06-25-2014 at 08:18 AM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Very interesting thread, thanks to all involved!...

Quote by KMMorris View Post
    Are you sure about Ausf. B? I would say G, definitely. I don't think B was being used that late war.

?

great thread.!

I agree it must be a fairly early model as the is no commanders cupola!....

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    I agree it must be a fairly early model as the is no commanders cupola!....
    I don't think the cupola was added until the Ausf. G in September 1943, but the Ausf. G started production in December 1942.

Not to debate you but this is a picture I have used before, The entire reason it is a B or retrofitted C. Is in the shape not cupola and that is why it can not be a G.
    Stug.jpg

]
    Not to debate you but this is a picture I have used before, The entire reason it is a B or retrofitted C. Is in the shape not cupola and that is why it can not be a G.
    Debate away, sir! I enjoy learning something new.

My whole point was that the cupola wasn't added until later. StuG iii Gs were in production before they started adding cupolas. So, it's possible to see all the StuG iii variants without cupolas. I just doubt they'd be using the Ausf. B that late in the war as far fewer were made and the F/G variants were far better at that time, making the think that the Ausf. Bs would have been retrofitted.

For reference...

stug iii f en rusia 1943.jpgstug-iii-f-2.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]706603[/ATTACH
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast