Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rochus Misch Book

Article about: I was going to ask this in the Misch thread, but was too slow in doing so and the Mods closed it due to the emotional arguments that were developing. My question was, will his book be publis

Default Rochus Misch Book

I was going to ask this in the Misch thread, but was too slow in doing so and the Mods closed it due to the emotional arguments that were developing. My question was, will his book be published in English, and if it will, do they intend to publish it in it's full state or will they make the usual changes and omissions that such books generally seem to get? Personally, I don't have much of an opinion on the man one way or another, but just thought that the Book might sound interesting. Whatever the man himself was, I would imagine that he saw interesting things that would make for a good read. Does anyone know or have heard anything? It seems to be a rare thing that Axis books make it to the English speaking market unscathed. Mussolini's mistress's book is a good example as well as countless others. Other books never make it at all-such as Eichmann's book and Goebbel's papers.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I've been wanting to read his book since it came out and thought that an English version would have been printed by now. It has been translated into several languages yet strangely enough not English as yet.

?

I hear that the book will soon be translated into English. In the meantime, perhaps these threads will be of interest:

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/histor...nglish-100368/

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/histor...h-book-152175/

Regards,

Carl

p.s. Although it is quite a short book, it is, as one would expect, rather interesting.

There is nothing, apart from having the financial resources, to stop anyone acquiring the English language rights, if available from the copyright holder, to any work and publishing them in any form the resulting licence agreement allows.

Books are copyedited and packaged by publishers for a variety of reasons and to suit individual markets but ultimately to sell the most copies in order to turn a profit. If publishers don't believe there is a big enough or profitable market books don't get translated or published. It is really that simple.

There is no conspiracy against particular subject matter by publishers it is usually a question of market economics. Although there are of course laws in various countries to prohibit the promotion and publication of proscribed forms of hatred, extremism, Holocaust denial etc. I am sure these prohibitions would not apply to another book about Eichmann, Goebbels or any other Nazi such as Misch.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Somehow, I can't quite believe that unpublished books in English like these aren't printed simply because some publisher doesn't think they would sell and make any money. In the last 50 years, I've seen far too many books available in Europe but Not the US or England-2 large population countries that have millions of readers and history followers. It may just be a coincidence that they are almost always from some infamous or notorious former enemy. Sometimes, when they Do manage to get into English print, they've been sanitized or have numerous changes or omissions. Politically correctness intrudes everywhere. You're perfectly free to believe as you feel.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Maybe it would appear so by those that have no experience in the economics of book publishing, development, production, distribution and marketing...all of which I have and can base my views upon.

Hitlers letzter Leibwächter gestorben | OTZ
    This site says an English language version of the book is due to be released in October. (bloody annoying pop ups on the site)

I have zero experience in publishing, so please don't jump on me for my comments, but i do believe books can and are modified to fit certain "politically correct" ideas. Call me a conspiracy theorists but as long as humans are involved in publishing, changes and omissions can occur. Just look at Mark Levins current book, The Liberty Amendments. It was published exactly as he wrote it, but numerous callers to his radio show have reported his book, which is very conservative and bucks the current trend of the federal government, has not been displayed in several major stores even though the store had boxes of the book in the stock room. Some left leaning liberal neglected to display the book with the new releases. That example isnt exactly the same as editing a book during translation, but its an example of how one human can influence, albeit in a small way, a book that doesn't quite fit in with the current politically correct way of thinking. Now as long as a single person can have that influence in one store, than books can be changed. And it's not as though the original subject matter is alive to argue that facts and statements have been omitted and/or deleted. I think there would be a huge market for any book pertaining to or written by the person themselves. Like i said, its just my theory. I'm no publisher or writer, so don't beat the crap outta me

Quote by helmetone View Post
    I have zero experience in publishing, so please don't jump on me for my comments, but i do believe books can and are modified to fit certain "politically correct" ideas. Call me a conspiracy theorists but as long as humans are involved in publishing, changes and omissions can occur. Just look at Mark Levins current book, The Liberty Amendments. It was published exactly as he wrote it, but numerous callers to his radio show have reported his book, which is very conservative and bucks the current trend of the federal government, has not been displayed in several major stores even though the store had boxes of the book in the stock room. Some left leaning liberal neglected to display the book with the new releases. That example isnt exactly the same as editing a book during translation, but its an example of how one human can influence, albeit in a small way, a book that doesn't quite fit in with the current politically correct way of thinking. Now as long as a single person can have that influence in one store, than books can be changed. And it's not as though the original subject matter is alive to argue that facts and statements have been omitted and/or deleted. I think there would be a huge market for any book pertaining to or written by the person themselves. Like i said, its just my theory. I'm no publisher or writer, so don't beat the crap outta me
    No flak from me mate, it's an interesting statement you make!....

Manuscripts and published works under translation are often edited by publishers for sale in different markets in order to maximise the sales in those markets, this is normal commercial practice and is not the stuff of conspiracy or censorship it is the simply the business of maximising profit in all markets by tailoring the book to the respective audience ..but some people are more inclined to look for the conspiracy theory first

There have been many cases of retailers bowing to pressure groups into not displaying or promoting works considered controversial...I am thinking of the furore over the publishing of Salman Rushdie's "Satanic Verses" or the public outcry over Jan Gross's book "Neighbours" when it was published in Poland and the more recent outcry over his "Golden Harvest"...all of which became bestsellers. Controversy sells

As ridiculous as it sounds it is a fact that in the US a book published in British English is considered by the US book trade as a foreign language work and can harm potential sales, so these British English titles are often requested to be translated into US English so as to maximise sales in the US market. There are English expressions that would make no sense to an American and visa versa, so such expressions are edited accordingly adding to the overall cost of producing a book that is sold in a particular market, all of these considerations affect the commercial viability of publishing a book.
    Last edited by StefanM; 09-09-2013 at 10:33 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast