Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sad News - Rochus Misch Passed Away

Article about: Rest in peace Rochus. I saw him briefly on a U bahn station in Berlin signing autographs, he looked like a very tired old man who wanted to be left alone!..

?

Great things you guys have said to remember him, gentlemen.
    Here are some more images to remember him by.

-Edit-
    I removed two images purported to be Mr .Misch
    Thanks to the knowledge of HPL2008
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dean; 09-07-2013 at 10:50 AM.

?

Rest in peace Rochus a sad day indeed .

Very sad news.

I never met him as there always seem to be reasons why I cannot make such trips to Germany: business, family, etc. Now, as more and more of these old soldiers leave us, I feel more determined to make the time and the effort.

When things and people are gone, they are gone forever and the rich experience of being in their company is lost for all time. I shall make the time. I shall make the effort.

Martin

?

Very saddening to hear... Time passes too quick!

Quote by Dean View Post
    Great things you guys have said to remember him, gentlemen.
    Here are some more images to remember him by. I really like the first image
    Except that it isn't Rochus Misch. He was no member of the SA. Also, this is a relatively early photograph, certainly pre-1933 and Misch was only 15 years old at the time the Nazis seized power.

The second photo, showing a Heer soldier, is also not Misch.

I believe the second photo is of Sepp Allerberger.

Luke

?

Ouch, I guess google images is as reliable as Wikipedia. Ill edit that.
    Good call ,Andreas and Rogge17.

Here are some images that are for sure, him.
    I like how he still held the same stance , with hands folded behind his back.

Dean.

Looking good Dean, you been working out???
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

You know it, Ned!

On another note, I found this interesting..actor Heinrich Schmeider , who played Rochus in the film "Downfall" actually died BEFORE Mr.Misch! He was only thirty years old when he died in 2010.

Quote by rogge16 View Post
    I believe the second photo is of Sepp Allerberger.
    Spot on. The now-deleted photograph was a picture of Allerberger. (I hadn't recognized him at first, but have checked since your post.)

Quote by Dean View Post
    Ouch, I guess google images is as reliable as Wikipedia.
    Well done. Of course, the problem is not so much Google Images as the misidentification of photographs on the websites it finds.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Looking good Dean, you been working out???
    The man is a Greek freelance journalist named Kostas Kallergis. For the source of the photograph and others taken during his 2007 encounter with Rochus Misch, see: Hitle | When the Crisis hit the Fan

Anyway, we are straying a bit off course here.

This is about the death of a noteworthy man, the last survivor from the inner circle surrounding Hitler up until his suicide and an honest and invaluable period witness to these years.

Much dispute has surrounded Mr. Misch from the time he first came to public attention and until the end of his life.

We can objectively say that he fulfilled his duty as a soldier and was never directly or indirectly involved in any war crimes. Of course, the question whether it can be morally acceptable to actually guard the life of a man like Hitler is not an easy one to answer. His considering the 20 July plotters as "murderers of comrades" is also a controversial issue. We might not condone that sentiment, but seeing it from his personal perspective - that of a man who might have fallen to the assassination attempt had he happened to be in that room at that point in time - makes it at least understandable.

Whatever moral implications we might see in his service, between his near-fatal injury in the Polish campaign and his years as a Soviet prisoner, going from Lubyanka Buildung through nine years in various forced labor camps, he certainly paid a high price.

In the end, he was neither a hero, nor a villain, but an ordinary man who found himself in extraordinary times and circumstances.

May he rest in peace.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast