Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

A Sad story

Article about: So why don't we put our money where our mouths are, there is a public donation site that is crowd sourced. Start a crowd sourcing donation for the guy, and I will donate. Lets do something a

?

Default Re: A Sad story

So why don't we put our money where our mouths are, there is a public donation site that is crowd sourced. Start a crowd sourcing donation for the guy, and I will donate. Lets do something about it than talk about how sad it is.

?

Doug,

Is there already a site available or would we need to start a new page on the public donation site?

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    So why don't we put our money where our mouths are, there is a public donation site that is crowd sourced. Start a crowd sourcing donation for the guy, and I will donate. Lets do something about it than talk about how sad it is.
    Have no idea what "crowd sourced" means but it sounds cool I have no problem donating the guy some money. Maybe we at WRF could do our own thing so to speak? I wouldn't mind donating money every month if the rest do as well. It only have meaning if we all put our money where our mouths are. Can we get in direct contact with this old chap?

Regards, Lars

?

I would chip in also to help the guy out.
    Ryan

i don't know what to think sometimes of these situations.
    it's obviously very sad as the end of a such a life always is. on the other hand, i am glad that he has something (the medals in this case) to sell to pay for his care so that he can spend his final days in relative comfort. i do not know what would happen if he did not have them in the situation he now finds himself in.
    whatever i do feel about it, the truth is this man is a hero who, by these medals and combat log will himself be remembered and his achievements remembered in a way that many will not.
    in the end my hope would be that the man would be honoured by whatever "rich" collector gives the symbols of his achievement a home because that collector cares about the exploits that earned them and the man himself as much as the symbols and who continues a remembrance of this man by the retelling.

what you gentlemen are discussing here... it's not difficult to get in contact in situations like this.

i've done it before.

you contact the reporting agency and get into contact with the reporter. in my experience, they are completely willing to call the family and facilitate any help that might be arranged.

you have to realize that the family will often go through with the auction whether they find some help from another source or not. that is sometimes the case.

it's a very personal thing and these news stories are often woefully shallow with respect to covering ALL that is going on in the background in such cases up to and including what value the medals have to family members to begin with when compared to what difficulties they face. often we don't have the whole picture.

Its almost like selling a piece of his life.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Guys, what your suggesting is not crowdsourcing, its old school nickel and dime bottle drive stuff. It might raise a couple hundred bucks tops. A viral crowdsourcing campaign can raise millions.

Crowdsourcing is this;

Crowdsourcing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is the leading crowdsourcing site

Crowdsourcing and Crowdfunding - The Industry Website

It's grass roots small donation viral funding.

Someone set it up, it takes time and patience and the benefactor must be 100% on board. A smart player will also send press releases out to try to make it viral as well as social media. It's a concerted campaign but done right they work unbelievably well.

I would do it but I am afraid my time doesn't permit. I can coordinate a Canadian press release through my businesses here however if a legitamite effort is done.

If someone takes a stab at it you first must contact the benefactor, then take the steps to set up a nonprofitco. It sounds hard but can be done quite easily.

Quote by DougB View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I've got the money ready to go. Who wants in on this?

- - Updated - -

Quote by DougB View Post
    Guys, what your suggesting is not crowdsourcing, its old school nickel and dime bottle drive stuff. It might raise a couple hundred bucks tops. A viral crowdsourcing campaign can raise millions.

Crowdsourcing is this;

Crowdsourcing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is the leading crowdsourcing site

Crowdsourcing and Crowdfunding - The Industry Website

It's grass roots small donation viral funding.

Someone set it up, it takes time and patience and the benefactor must be 100% on board. A smart player will also send press releases out to try to make it viral as well as social media. It's a concerted campaign but done right they work unbelievably well.

I would do it but I am afraid my time doesn't permit. I can coordinate a Canadian press release through my businesses here however if a legitamite effort is done.

If someone takes a stab at it you first must contact the benefactor, then take the steps to set up a nonprofitco. It sounds hard but can be done quite easily.
    I will look into this. I've got lots of free time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast