Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Saving Money for Something Special?

Article about: Since it is December the last thing on our minds is saving money. But if you are like me, you are still dreaming about that one special piece that is out of reach of your pocketbook. I'm sur

Default Saving Money for Something Special?

Since it is December the last thing on our minds is saving money. But if you are like me, you are still dreaming about that one special piece that is out of reach of your pocketbook. I'm sure we all have something that we want, but can't quite afford just yet. For me it is going to be my first SS helmet, preferably an M40 or M42 single decal, and starting today 12/1/2012 I will be saving up until I get it. What specific items are you guys saving up for?

One more thing, while we are on the subject, what is the longest any of you have saved your money up for a single item?

Regards,
    Corey

Default Re: Saving Money for Something Special?

You are very disciplined Corey! ..... I usually get a few hundred put away then something catches my eye and "the plan" changes quickly and the money is spent ( I get distracted by various TR stuff ) and then it's back to the start again ....... that or a big utility bill spoils my plans!
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

4md
    ?

Good luck Corey, Iv been saving for a year for a nice lid. maybe an ss or a double decal heer. Its probably the longest iv saved for a militaria item.

regards Paul

The longest i saved for a single item was about 7 years, but that was a deposit for a house

Cool thread Cory.It will be interesting to see what folk are saving for.
    I am saving for a double decal Heer lid at present.
    My partner is pretty much unsupportive of my collecting and can't understand the $ investment factor involved so larger value additions are rare.
    This is how I'm hiding saving the cash for the lid,a game of illusion and trickery.Sorry love but we must do what we must do.

PICT0107.jpgPICT0108.jpg

Seven hundred Au,getting there.It's taken me 6 months but I have time on my side..
    I bet I'm not the Lone Ranger here unfortunately.
    Cheers
    Dave

It's hard to save up for a specific item because items I really want nowadays seems to always be in another collection and when sold never makes it to the open market so I have to wait until the owner is ready to sell. Often times I will make a payments type deal with them as most of them know me when they are ready to sell. I try to have a chunk of funds set aside to never be touched until certain items I have my eye on in other collections are offered. I will continue to add stuff here and there that fits and does not bust the budget.

The longest I saved up for an item was when I was 16 until I turned 18. Almost 2 years. I had my sights set on an HK 91 rifle in 7.62mm Nato and a Galil ARM rifle in 7.62mm at a local gun dealers shop that I would frequently hang around in. The day I turned 18 walked into his shop I bought them both and walked out the door with them. The good old days of filling out form 4473 and cash and carry without any waiting periods for rifles. You would have needed a 2x4 to knock the smile off my face as I walked out the door.

good stuff guys

I'm just saving up for any kind of helmet and have 100 dollars saved up. Far but still close!

I havent purchased a single thing for my collection this year, but with being unemployed and still being treated from a car accident, relics arent too high on my list of priorities currently!

Hmmm, my goal these days is WW I British aviation gallantry medals. I'm closing in on funds for a WW I RAF DFC group, maybe by X'mas.

Quote by sunsetIE View Post
    I havent purchased a single thing for my collection this year, but with being unemployed and still being treated from a car accident, relics arent too high on my list of priorities currently!
    I agree, unlike this guy I met at a show who said he wouln't eat for 1 week because he want one thing lol. Don't know if this is a joke or for real but that is too far!