Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Selling in the classifieds to non members?

Article about: Is it a good idea to sell items to non members? Two non members have asked to buy items I have for sale and one is in the UK and is a dealer so I am happy to sell to him as he is traceable,

Default Selling in the classifieds to non members?

Is it a good idea to sell items to non members? Two non members have asked to buy items I have for sale and one is in the UK and is a dealer so I am happy to sell to him as he is traceable, but the other is from abroad and I know nothing about him and would probably struggle to track him down if there was a problem. In principle I am happy to sell to however wants to buy from me, but I thought I would ask before I posted either item off. The first one has sent me the money by Paypal whilst the other is waiting until I price postage before paying.

I ask because I have not sold much online previously and so far only to people I know on forums.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Re: Selling in the classifieds to non members?

Jerry, I would say as long as you have the money in the bank you can sell to whoever you want to? We are an open forum so you are not restricted to sell to members only so crack on mate. If you are worried about overseas buyers like i said as long as the money is in the bank and you have discussed postage terms with the other person. I specify that either they have insurance or if not they take the risk for the package
    Ben

?

Stick with what you know and feel comfortable with.

If you're happy to sell to a non member U.K. dealer and you know who it is and where they are then I don't see a problem. If there is a non member from abroad interested then I think you need to make a judgement call on that one. I know I would rather not take the risk as the potential for a scam is always there and if you don't know them then you are taking the risk.

If anyone moans they've been ripped off when buying something I always ask if sending your money to a complete stranger in a far off country is a wise thing to do.
    The same could apply in reverse, do you want to send your pieces to a stranger in a far off land? Sure, they might have paid but what's to say they will claim a non delivery and moan to PayPal etc.

If you choose the 'stranger' option, just make sure you're bullet proof, make sure the buyer knows you will charge them for tracked, traced, coded, special delivery that will be signed for etc etc.

**Edit**

Just read Ben's reply and will just make the point that even if the money is in your bank, Paypal can still suspend your account if there's a problem and if they decide the buyer should be refunded for whatever reason, they will take the money from any transactions in the future.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    Jerry, I would say as long as you have the money in the bank you can sell to whoever you want to? We are an open forum so you are not restricted to sell to members only so crack on mate. If you are worried about overseas buyers like i said as long as the money is in the bank and you have discussed postage terms with the other person. I specify that either they have insurance or if not they take the risk for the package
    Thanks Ben and the overseas buyer has contacted me and is a member here so no problem IMO.

It is just this hobby is conducive to inducing paranoia and I feel a bit rude about asking, but I suppose better to be safe than sorry. I do wish that if people want to buy from me and are members I wish they would PM rather than just emailing me. For all I know the other buyer might also be a member, DOH!!!
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Adrian View Post

Just read Ben's reply and will just make the point that even if the money is in your bank, Paypal can still suspend your account if there's a problem and if they decide the buyer should be refunded for whatever reason, they will take the money from any transactions in the future.
    I always transfer the money into my account before I post anything, that way you cannot get ripped off

Jerry, also if buying from overseas then its your risk, like Adrian says there its a judgement call, I would not buy from a complete stranger/first time poster etc
    Ben

I'd get a tracking number, and make sure you add the number to the paypal payment details. If they pretend it didn't arrive you will have a defence.

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Stick with what you know and feel comfortable with.

If you're happy to sell to a non member U.K. dealer and you know who it is and where they are then I don't see a problem. If there is a non member from abroad interested then I think you need to make a judgement call on that one. I know I would rather not take the risk as the potential for a scam is always there and if you don't know them then you are taking the risk.

If anyone moans they've been ripped off when buying something I always ask if sending your money to a complete stranger in a far off country is a wise thing to do.
    The same could apply in reverse, do you want to send your pieces to a stranger in a far off land? Sure, they might have paid but what's to say they will claim a non delivery and moan to PayPal etc.

If you choose the 'stranger' option, just make sure you're bullet proof, make sure the buyer knows you will charge them for tracked, traced, coded, special delivery that will be signed for etc etc.

**Edit**

A lot of valid points Adrian, which is why I asked. The items are all relatively low price and adding signed for & tracked delivery makes them a lot more expensive and I know when the same was the other way around I would take the cheaper option and so far have had no problems. As I posted, he is a member so it is up to him, but I will over him both options and if it goes missing, Hmmmm!
    Regards,

Jerry

If You send anything, use only registred mail. I have to sell 99% all items to buyers from USA, Australia, Canada and other far away countries because there are too few buyers in my country:-). Usually there are no problems but if it possible, use bank transfer insead of PayPal in all EU transactions. It is much safer for You.

Uk is no member of the EU monatary union, that make's bank transferts very expensive!
    And even if you redraw money from your paypal account, paypal will get it from your credit card if they judge the buyer as to be refund!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    Ben,
    Sound advise to say the least.I took an ad several years ago to sell a Police Officers Shako in exc. condition!Some moron wanted me to send it to him on approval and at my expense!I simply told him no tickie,no shirty.A------s like him are way i do not take any ads out with trade mags!As long as the check clears or some other way of you having the collectors cash is fine!Carl