Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Show your old forces photos

Article about: Oh my god - those Bren guns get everywhere!

Oh my god - those Bren guns get everywhere!

Harry: In those days we were poorly equipped with Brenguns and carbines.
    Our battle dress were dungarees. All was just basic!

Thanks! It's pretty funny, I'm not sure if its the tripod in the picture. But our armory has a tripod dated from 1945 and we still use it haha!

Quote by Wilhelm Saris View Post
    Harry: In those days we were poorly equipped with Brenguns and carbines.
    Our battle dress were dungarees. All was just basic!
    Wilhelm, you were hardly poorly equipped if you had the Bren. It was (is) probably the finest light machine-gun ever made!

Cheers,
    Steve.

Here are a few from my last tour iraq 2003 I'm the one with the infantry beret. ......ex REME
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steve,

For those days it was indeed not so poorly, but when I see the material from these days, wow.
    That's what I meant to say. Sorry!

My last weeks at the island in October I had no military duties and nothing to do, just relax at the beach, drinking coke
    or beer. Day in, day out.

But in September 1962 I had to work four weeks in shifts, to dump material or to destroy. Ammunition of all kinds and
    anti-aircraft artillery cannons simply went on board of naval landing-crafts, carried the stuff over the rif into open sea where
    it was kicked and thrown from the craft. I may have dumped a thousand crates with all kinds of ammunition. Guns like the
    carbines and Bren guns and other stuff, like radio's and aggregates were simply destroyed with sledgehammers or other
    methods.

One thing is for sure: we could get rid of all our frustrations. I do not have any idea for how much money was destroyed there.
    On military and High Command orders!!

Great pics John !!

Thank you

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

If there's one thing that any Army is good at - it's wasting good equipment. I remember when our regiment used to go to the ranges near Mourmelon le Grande. We would spend about a month there, and when the time came to return to Dortmund, we used to go on the ranges and fire off all the ammunition to save taking it back.

Nice pictures John. Our REME workshop used to have an old Bedford which had seen service with the regiment in North Africa, this was in 1969 right up to us returning to England in 72 - we left it abandoned at the back of the workshops in the end.

Amen to that. As you can imagine I have hundreds of photos some good memories some not so good. Believe it or not ......we had a rough time Out There. And Bosnia I think is turning out to be the forgotten war. In some ways it was worse than iraq. A bit like N.I. You always had to watch your back

Heres mine, about April 1983, On board Merchant Vessel Keren having just arrived in Port Stanley, Falkland Islands after a delightful eight day cruise through the South Atlantic from Ascension Island an a flat bottomed RoRo car ferry..........as you may be able to tell I was ecstatic about being there.............
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast