Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Singing at the cemetery.

Article about: Hello All, Just thought I would share this with you. Where I live in Michigan there is a fairly large military cemetery. Toward the back of the cemetery is an area about the length of a trai

Default Singing at the cemetery.

Hello All,

Just thought I would share this with you. Where I live in Michigan there is a fairly large military cemetery. Toward the back of the cemetery is an area about the length of a trailer. In it lie a number of German P.O.W's from the second world war. We (My family and I) were there earlier today to visit a grave of a friend who had served in the pacific. As I was walking along just remembering the fellow, I took note of a sign labeled German section. I immediately had an urge to walk over, as there weren't many people around just folks visiting the surrounding graves of U.S service members. I looked around and when I was sure no one was in ear shot I began singing Lili Marlene. Upon finishing I walked back from whence I came. I just had an urge to do it so I did. Just thought I'd share.

?

Default Re: Singing at the cemetery.

Quote by MrMosel View Post
    Hello All,

Just thought I would share this with you. Where I live in Michigan there is a fairly large military cemetery. Toward the back of the cemetery is an area about the length of a trailer. In it lie a number of German P.O.W's from the second world war. We (My family and I) were there earlier today to visit a grave of a friend who had served in the pacific. As I was walking along just remembering the fellow, I took note of a sign labeled German section. I immediately had an urge to walk over, as there weren't many people around just folks visiting the surrounding graves of U.S service members. I looked around and when I was sure no one was in ear shot I began singing Lili Marlene. Upon finishing I walked back from whence I came. I just had an urge to do it so I did. Just thought I'd share.
    Keep on taking the tablets or if you haven't got any get some , you'll be ok !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

There are 14 German P.O.W.'s buried near where I live also. They were all involved in killing fellow germans that were collaborating. It's been along time since I've been there, but I always go by their graves when I visit. I'm sure they don't get much attention. I've never felt the urge to sing to them, but to each his own. It's a nice thought. Good one Paul!

Jay

Hi,
    I see no wrong in what you did, people visit cemeteries and talk to the dead all the time when i was in Normandy i visited most of the military cemeteries including the German ones, we have our own thoughts in these times.
    As Jay says im sure they dont get much attention from visitors, i also think it was a nice thought.
    Dave.

I see no problems with you singing at their graves. They have passed and been laid to rest, in a foreign country, so far from home and family. Im sure their souls are rather lonely because of that. Well done!