Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

skull's used by different army's

Article about: Finland. I cant vouch for all of these being original.

?

Default Re: skull's used by different army's

Finland.
    I cant vouch for all of these being original.

US special forces skull from Vietnam, though this is probably a copy, but they were field made and the originals are pretty rough, so I don't know if original or not, but you get the idea on what they looked like.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

lap-cav-001.jpg
    This one is interesting, Finnish i think.

Some body beat me to it!.....

?

Quote by stuka f View Post
    Not very popular thread, but I persist!
    Have a look a these Austro-Hungarian Assault Troop's Badge;
    Austro-Hungarian Army - Austro-Hungarian Assault Troop's Badges
    cheers
    |<ris
    Excellent link. I had seen some of these before but far from all. They are very interesting WWI Sturmtruppe designs and a nice departure from the 'usual' WWII fare.
    I bet those eraly Sturmtruppe badges are hard to come by today.

?

The Legend of the Skull & Bones

by the Jolly Rogers

The day was April First. The year was 1945. The place was Ready Room Three onboard USS Bunker HIll, on station one hundred miles off the coast of Okinawa. This day would mark the beginning of the invasion of Okinawa. Fighters Squadron SEVENTEEN would participate in the invasion, providing air support in the area. Fighter Squadron SEVENTEEN's reputation in the Pacific theater was well known, and Japanese pilots feared the sight of VF-17's Skull and Crossbones emblazoned F4U Corsairs.

Ensign Jack Ernie and the other squadron pilots completed their preflight briefings and headed to the flight deck of USS Bunker HIll to man their aircraft. Jack and his fellow pilots had already shot down over 100 Japanese aircraft, and anxiously awaited the day's opportunity to add more Japanese kills to their record.

Two hous later, however, over the skies of Okinawa, Ensign Jack Ernie began losing engine oil and in an attempt to disenage from the fight with his crippled Corsair, was attacked by two Japanese Zeroes. Without the full power of his engine available, Jack was at a disadvantage, but he fought valiantly, splashing one of the Zeroes before being overcome by the second. As his Corsair plummeted earthward he made two transmissions; "Skipper, I can't get out" followed by a short pause and then, "Remember me with the Jolly Rogers."

For his actions that day, Ensign Ernie was posthumously awared the Navy Cross. His remains were not recovered until many years later, after VF-17 had been decommissioned and the Skull and Crossbones insignia adopted by Fighter Squadron EIGHTY-FOUR. After its commissioning in 1955, in an attempt ot trace the history of its squadron insignia, the story of Ensign Jack Ernie was revealed to VF-84 by Jack's family and upon their suggestion and consent, Jack's skull and femurs were encased in glass and presented to the squadron, thereby fulfilling Jack's last request of being remember to the Jolly Rogers.

To this day, Ensign Jack Ernie is retained on the squadron rooster and his skull and bones go with the Jolly Rogers wherever they go, serving as a symbol of courage and heroism for all Jolly Rogers to follow.

The F-14 Tomcat Association.

?

C__pia de a Manchuria _15_1.jpg
    Japanese troops in Manchuria.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast