Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

A slow time to be selling militaria?

Article about: I have noticed here and on other forums that it appears to be a slow time for selling items and I wondered if others had noticed the same thing? Is this the result of the economic downturn a

Default Re: A slow time to be selling militaria?

As a "younger" collector I simply cannot afford the "high end" German items.
    To be honest, I can't afford a great deal of German items.

You can't afford nice things when you are on the army payroll.

But price is one thing. Another aspect is the enormous amount of fakes out there.
    Especially German items are faked in abundance. That is a major "turn-off", at least in my world.
    I am not ready to risk it. It is simply too much of a risk when your finances are stretched to the limit.

Smart thinking 37Webbing.Better to be safe than sorry with this material!If you want to see what a great deal of copies of A-Z get a catalog from REDDICK MILITARIA in Texas Toll Free 1-800-786-6210 or www.reddickmilitaria.com.They are five bucks and just to see all the repros will answer your inquiry some what.

?

I hear you all. The euro is killing my dollar so I'm at a standstill with miltaria.

I actually think it is good time to do some good old bargaining and even some lowballing :-)
    I got few good deals lately by simply offering low and doing some bargaining.
    P.s i am not a used car salesman but i did work in sales.

I have noticed this issue too Jerry. IMO is due to the economic crisis. It has affected a lot of people therefore more collectors are looking to sell than to buy. This has dropped the prices down as well.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

?

I dont think it is just the military collectibles market that is being effected by a down turn in the economy sales are down in all collectible across the board some are effected more than others it would seem.
    We collect antiques as well as comics and there has been sharp decline in these areas as well and I have had to adjust my selling prices to match the market place which does not leave a lot of room for profit on some of the items we have purchased in the last few years when the market was on a high note I am finding bartering and tradeing is the way to go right now.
    I have noticed though that the high end and rarer military items out there are still selling quite well ie... SS ,Airborne helmets,Jumpsmocks,BD's are still selling at there regular prices.
    It is a buyers market right now and I have been lucky enough to aquire a few new pieces at very good prices .

Regards Mark K

Though it does mean that this is a good time to be buying, if you are in it for the long haul and are willing to risk a continued fall in value of items.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I think the values will not go down unless economy gets worst.
    Certain things will hold their value regardless.
    Buying now is really all about getting deals as economy will improve prices will rise regardless.
    Same applies to other things in life e.g. Home improvements, cars etc

but yes good time to ask sellers for a better price its work with me on some things but some people still stick to there price.

I don't have much to say that hasn't already been said. I too have noticed a slowdown in how fast some items sell. Some items still seem to sell fairly quickly, but others seem to sit for a while. WWII German helmets being my main area, I have noticed a slow down in how fast they sell. Even just a year ago any helmet was getting snatched up in a hurry, especially on some dealer sites. Now it looks as though some helmets, even very good and unique helmets, are sitting on sites for months or more before several price drops finally help it to get sold. I suppose this is good for helmet buyers, but it's bad for dealers and even collectors who are trying to sell lids to buy other lids or simply upgrade their collection with some nicer specimens. A bad economy never helps any business, unless you ate in the funeral business, in which case there is never a shortage of customers. For militaria dealers this is a way of life, but for collectors it's a hobby, and the dealers are dependent on the welfare of the hobby itself. And with the high prices, it's no wonder there are fewer and fewer younger collectors. They have simply been priced out of collecting. Try buying a $1000 M40 Heer helmet on a high school kids summer job budget. If its not easy for us adults, than we know darn certain it's not easy for teens. The bottom will drop on many values and collectors will begin another buying boom, but how long will that take? Who knows.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast