Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

A slow time to be selling militaria?

Article about: I have noticed here and on other forums that it appears to be a slow time for selling items and I wondered if others had noticed the same thing? Is this the result of the economic downturn a

Default Re: A slow time to be selling militaria?

Agree high end market items still have value, medals never go down in price and are always better than money in the bank. As mainly a seller, there is hardly any margin for profit when buying at auction to sell on, medals that is.

Fakes are a nightmare, and non-militaria general antique dealers, the retired set as i call them, get very antsey when you suggest they are selling restrikes, fakes or similar and not actually knowing what you mean. I was at a fair recently, and dealer selling WW1 cap as genuine, and it was so new you could smell it (i think it was an indian made piece for reenactors).

Furthermore, there is a general downturn everywhere, but i think people are re-evaluating what they want and need. The internet has opened up the market for many people, which probably has flooded the market. If you go to fairs like beltring, how many dealers are selling iron crosses?
    So unless there is only one of whatever you want and you desperately have to have it, it pays to shop around and look for the bargain....

Hope that makes sense, its something i often talk to other dealers at the moment, and i dont want it to turn into a ramble...

Thanks to all who have contributed and it seems that we are all largely in agreement on the state of the market. Many items are going slow and except for the high end items, in the main it is a buyers market at this time. Fakes are a problem and the over pricing of items due to a boom a few years back has left some sellers struggling to recoup what they spent.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Yes Jerry i have noticed there is changes in prices, some of it is probably because of the economic condition in the world. But quality fakes, and greed has scared some people away from the hobby. But it could also be the interest for ww2 is dropping, now as the last veterans are going into the history books. So if there is less collectors, then the prices will be lowered on ordinary items.

I do not see much of the items i collect for sale, so that is the reason for not purchasing more treasures here.

Try being out of work for eleven months! That certainly curtails militaria purchases!

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Try being out of work for eleven months! That certainly curtails militaria purchases!
    Sorry to hear you are still out of work and I have had a similar problem, though not to the extent of yours but I have only done a small amount of work in the last few months as Archaeology is linked with the construction industry which has taken a hammering in my part of the UK, though I have some work next week and the week after.
    Regards,

Jerry

Hey guys, being a young collector I understand that it could be hard to find money etc. But recently I haven't stopped buying militaria but this could be because I hardly ever buy from dealers sites more often than not due to the high end prices. The items that I have brought in the last month show that amazing bargains can still be found, and as a result I am constantly scanning the internet for potential purchases at a great price!
    Thanks, Glen.

I agree Glen, I have picked up some good bargains from local antique centers and from ebay lately, though that is probably related to a lessening in interest. I only buy from dealers if it is something I need to complete a display or a restoration. As I posted previously, a good time to be buying.
    Regards,

Jerry

Yep I have also found some good eBay bargains recently. Yesterday I received a relic WH rear motorcycle license plate for just over £25.
    To be honest I am not really bothered how the markets are doing. If their becomes a high interested in TR items and the prices steeply rise that means my collection is worth more money but I will be able to buy less items. If the prices dramatically reduce, my collection will be worth less but I will be able to expand it. Although the second one sounds much better Either way I will still be able to find bargains !
    Thanks, Glen.
    But yes I have to agree that it is a slow time to be selling militaria, Klaus Butschek has now started doing auctions on his site.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi end items never get cheaper. Their value is always rising and they are always moving even when things in the market are slow. The reason is that you need to be very rich to be able to spend every month 5.000-10.000 euros for i.e SS helmets etc. And crisis is not affecting very rich people. It is well known that poor are becoming poorer and rich are becoming richer.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast