Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Soldiers Buried At St.George's Church Benenden

Article about: Hi I am in the process of researching the following gentlemen who were died during World War Two who are buried at my local Church. 6472033 Fusilier Albert Robert Searle, 8th Battalion Royal

Default Soldiers Buried At St.George's Church Benenden

Hi

I am in the process of researching the following gentlemen who were died during World War Two who are buried at my local Church.

6472033 Fusilier Albert Robert Searle, 8th Battalion Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment). Date of death: 28/06/1941.
    CWGC - Casualty Details

971077 Gunner Leo Thomas Chafe, Royal Artillery 59 (Newfoundland) Heavy Regiment. Date of death: 18/06/1941.
    CWGC - Casualty Details

There are others who are buried there who were from my village but these two are not . The first coming from Essex with a wife in Devon and the other from Newfoundland. Now why are they buried so far from home? And why are the dates of there deaths so close together?

It will need more research but I do know that during World War Two Benenden girls school was used as a military hospital. So it might be a possibility that they were brought to Benenden at a similar time but died while in hospital?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cameron

Default Re: Soldiers Buried At St.George's Church Benenden

Hi

Just did some more research and found that the 59th (Newfoundland) Heavy Regiment was stationed in South East England in late June 1941 (date of death as 18/06/1941). Very interesting....

Cameron

Hi

It turns out that 8th Battalion Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) was also stationed in Kent at the time of his death. Now to find out the causes of there deaths, could anyone help me on that one?

Cameron

Cameron

The wonders of Google !

Daily News

"The director of Recruiting has been informed by the Under-Secretary of State for War, that NO.971077 GUNNER LEO THOMAS CHAFE, Royal Artillery, died on June 28th in No 7 Casualty Clearing Station, Benendum, Kent, from fractured skull, as the result of an accident. Next of kin, father, Mr. George Taylor, Taylor’s Bay, Lamaline, Newfoundland"

Regards

Richie

Quote by Richie B View Post
    Cameron

The wonders of Google !

Daily News

"The director of Recruiting has been informed by the Under-Secretary of State for War, that NO.971077 GUNNER LEO THOMAS CHAFE, Royal Artillery, died on June 28th in No 7 Casualty Clearing Station, Benendum, Kent, from fractured skull, as the result of an accident. Next of kin, father, Mr. George Taylor, Taylor’s Bay, Lamaline, Newfoundland"

Regards

Richie
    Hi

Thank you Richie! I had actually found that website but I obviously didn't look in as much detail.
    I still cant find anything to do with the other gentleman....

Thanks

Cameron

Nchafe
    ?

Not sure if this is where i type but anyway.....Leo Thomas Chafe #971077 is my uncle. From what i remember hearing as a child is that my uncle Tom died climbing up on the back of a truck on a training mission wearing a heavy back pack and his hand slipped and he fell backwards off the truck and landed on his head and fractured his skull.

Damn...now thats bad luck.

Nchafe
    ?

Yes i agree. Just noticed the next of kin is supposed to be George Chafe not Taylor. Anyway thanks for your interests on my uncle and if you happen to find any articles and such please post them.