Ed_Haynes
    ?

Default Some interesting images of the 2009 Victory Day parade

Snagged from TV.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rick
    ?

Default Re: Some interesting images of the 2009 Victory Day parade

Great pictures, i bet those old boys could tell a story or two.

Rick

Hi Ed, thanks for snagging these pictures for us. Not only do I bet those guys have stories to tell-but I also bet they get tired easily enough at just pinning on all of those awards ;-)

Nice photos. Thanks for sharing them.

I have the intention to visit Moscow next year to see the Victory parade on the Red square, as I have heard that it is going to be a specially huge, to commemorate the 65 years of the Victory over Germany, with lots of GPW parafernalia and all. Why is it that I think it will be so? First, because of the "round" number: 65. Second, because of the recent raffle about the "rewriting of history of the GPW" according to the russians.

This is what President Dmitry Medvedev said in the Victory parade speech: "We will not allow anybody to cast doubt on the achievements of our nation (during the GPW)."

Also, read this from the Telegraph: "An increasing reluctance among ex-Communist states on Russia's western border to see the Soviet Union as liberators rather than occupiers has incensed the Kremlin. On the eve of the Victory Day parade, Mr Medvedev appeared to give backing to a controversial proposal that would make it a criminal offence, carrying up to five years in prison, to make such an argument -- a move that could see some foreign leaders banned from entering Russia.

The legislation, which is to be introduced in the next few weeks, would punish anyone who denied the Soviet Union's victory in the War and could be extended to target those who criticized Stalin's tactics or described Moscow's seizure of the Baltic states as "occupation".

Here is the complete article: Dmitry Medvedev at Moscow missile parade: 'Russia will teach aggressors a lesson' - Telegraph

The two facts stated above will make, IMO, the 2010 parade a statement to the world of what the USSR did to defeat the nazis, so I think it will be huge with a lot of the 1945 Victory parade reminiscences.

Regards,

Gus

Ed_Haynes
    ?

Unless you have very VERY high connections, there is no chance you'll get anywhere near Red Square on that day.

Yes, the revisionst "history" coming mostly out of Eastern Europe (the Baltic states especially) has been noted in Russia. While they'd rather dwell on a reinvented pre-1917 history, the GPW is still important and central. As Holocaust denial is (approprtiately) criminal in much of Europe, it would not be surprising to see "GPW denial" a similar crime in Russia. And if it let them keep undesirables out, what'd be the loss?

Quote by Ed_Haynes View Post
    Unless you have very VERY high connections, there is no chance you'll get anywhere near Red Square on that day.

Yes, the revisionst "history" coming mostly out of Eastern Europe (the Baltic states especially) has been noted in Russia. While they'd rather dwell on a reinvented pre-1917 history, the GPW is still important and central. As Holocaust denial is (approprtiately) criminal in much of Europe, it would not be surprising to see "GPW denial" a similar crime in Russia. And if it let them keep undesirables out, what'd be the loss?
    Ed,

As you can infer by my post, I have never been in a Moscow Victory parade (or in Moscow, for that matter). Maybe I was being too optimistic by saying I wanted to be on the Red Square proper, but I suppose there is a place just outside through which the parade advances and the general public can see it.

Regards,

Gus

Jan
    ?

Lol.. nice to see that the Soviet military parade is a photographic source for battlefield militaria collectors.

Ed_Haynes
    ?

Quote by guscanoesp View Post
    Ed,

As you can infer by my post, I have never been in a Moscow Victory parade (or in Moscow, for that matter). Maybe I was being too optimistic by saying I wanted to be on the Red Square proper, but I suppose there is a place just outside through which the parade advances and the general public can see it.

Regards,

Gus

It used to be possible, I am told, in Soviet days to see the rehearsals, but I'm not sure even this is permitted now. You could try, but go with a Russian speaking friend and speak NO ENGLISH and over-dress (so you'll look like a Russian). I can give some advice when the time comes, although I have only been there once, I found the place fascinating, if troubling: The new capitalists with more money than god, while GPW veterans have to beg on the streets.