Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Some repros

Article about: I mostly collect genuine german helmets ,but the only repro iv got is a german para with cover ,and i added the decals.i actually like it.i find the quality, and attention to detail excellen

Default Some repros

I mostly collect genuine german helmets ,but the only repro iv got is a german para with cover ,and i added the decals.i actually like it.i find the quality, and attention to detail excellent.its in a sand colour and reminds me what the helmets used to look like fresh out of the factorys in germany.iv no intention of distressing it.the standard repro m35/42 and m16 look a little tacky to me ,and hold no interest for me.i was wondering what you thought about the odd obvious repro in you collecetion/would you ahve one?

Default Re: Some repros

Hi, I would never include a repro item in a collection. I think it debases the other original items. Stick to original historical items only. It will pay you dividends in the long run too as an investment should you ever wish to sell in the future.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi,

I have worked quite hard for any spare cash I have and that is never much, but when I have some why on earth would I knowingly but a fake? Seems pointless to me, the money spent could buy a lesser but original item?!

Jock

Hi
    I would never knowingly have a repro in my collection. I don,t mind what it is but it has to be from that period and so I can get that sense of history from it.

Martin

I of course agree to a certain exstent.as the genuine para helmet is crazy money which i simply wouldnt pay ,i think the repro is ok as long as i never try and turn it into something else by ageing it.i agree about keeping a collection pure except in this case!

?

Quote by LAS VEGAS View Post
    I of course agree to a certain exstent.as the genuine para helmet is crazy money which i simply wouldnt pay ,i think the repro is ok as long as i never try and turn it into something else by ageing it.i agree about keeping a collection pure except in this case!
    agreed if theres a piece that is way out of your price range or very rare but you want a reference piece to fill a hole then a good repro to me is ok as long as it stays a repro

ww2 german para lids are very very expensive even for a relic shell people are willing to pay alot of money for as they are hard to get hold of these days & the market is so full of fakes

Nick its important as we agree to never age a helmet artifically as this in the long run may end up in the collectors market as a genuine one,and out of respect for our fellow collectors this wouldnt be right.

I was thinking though that some of the aged helmets have been done very well,but its up to the guys that are doing this to have someway on the helmet that tells a person this is a repro ,and nothing more ,and that indicAtion of same can never be erased.

A very controversiale subject as you can see.
    I have for over 25 years of profesional experience in antiques in general and there is one thing I figured out for myself and that is; "if you like it, and the price is to your bugdget , buy it".
    About the argument of paying divident, I experienced several subjects in the antique world that were buyed with that idea and crashed ! Heavely carved 19 th century furniture going like 2.500 euro 10 years ago are worth shit today. I am speaking of Henri II and others in that kind of style. Even periode 17 th and 18 th century furniture do not fetches prices anymore they used to. You can buy beautiful 18 century german tronck's for 1/4 of the price of theyre value 10 years ago. Many surched after old master painters are no brought up in sale because they do not fetch a good price anymore.
    Collection items like militaria, toy's, and many other subjects did not suffer of thise probleme...up to now.
    As I sayd before, Chinees copy in order to honour theyre ancesters.
    And when Keats said " a thing of beauty is a joy for ever " he never mentioned the word "copy" or "genuine"!!
    Just my personal perception !!
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Stuka thats interesting and i agree .I recently purchased repro lufwfffe dagger repro and its a lovely design in repro or original and a hj dagger also.at least the makers have clearly stated on them they are chinese made with no intention of deception.THE ONE AREA I REALY WANT TO AVOID BUYING REPROS IS AS IV SAID GERMAN HELMETS THE PARA ONE ACEPTED,ps sorry for some shouting.