Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Somme/Flanders Trip

Article about: Hello all! I thought i would share with you some of the photos from our recent trip to the Somme and Flanders. I'll try and be selective Our first week was camping at a village called Bertan

Default Re: Somme/Flanders Trip

2km up the road is what is known as the "Trench of Death". We were informed that this was the only section of Belgium Trenches that are preserved for visiting (if any of you know different let me know so i can go over again!). This was fantastic, they had original photos around showing you what it would have looked like where you were standing. I have tried to show a few as i know we all like before and after pictures . Again, a free place to visit which most would be happy to pay. A nice small museum on top again showing a good panoramic view. Unfortunatly for you guys, i've had to include one with me in to show the scale of the trenches.
    Attached Images Attached Images

We asked on the forum if anyone wanted any relatives found and had a request from someone. Here is his grave at the Aeroplane Memorial and Cemetery between Ypres and Passchendaele. I'm glad we did it as it took us to a cemetery we hadn't heard of and probably wouldn't have sourced.

We didn't visit Tyne Cot and others as we had done them on the previous trip and wanted to experience new places.

Hooge Crater.

This is a great open air museum however it is heartbreaking for more than one reason! Hooge is where the first flame throwers were used. The open air museum gives you a nice quiet opportunity to view and take in the grounds. However, seeing all the equipment just lying on the ground, and bayonets and stick grenades nailed to wooden poles just annoyed me! Museums are meant to preserve the history of areas and although on one hand it was succeeding in this, there was no conservation of the items. A bren gun was drilled onto a bunker and on a tree the other side lee enfields were also drilled onto trees. I'll stop there because i could go on all night. I think they should give it all to me to preserve it correctly

Went for a bike ride up Mount Kemmel to visit the Lettenberg bunkers. Typically we chose the hottest day of the holiday to do this but it made the journey back down the hill even more enjoyable (especially when we reached a bar in the village). Again, worth a visit if you are in the area.

On our way back from Mount Kemmel we called in at Spanbroekmolen, also known as the pool of peace. This was the largest mine of the battle of Messines at 12m deep. We wanted to call in and see this after seeing Hill 60 and the Caterpillar mine on our previous visit. On our way back we pulled over and found this nice but dangerous pile just outside Messines. Again, a reminder of the dangers that are still out there. Along a 1km straight we must have seen at least 20 of these shells.

A memorial to the Liverpool Scottish at Railway Wood.

Around the fields we noticed "Interesting" insulators which upon further looking and getting a few pangs from the fence turned out to be the tops of SRD jars.

I like #18 with the German and the bayoneted rat "Look boys! HQ sent us fresh meat!"
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Last but by no means least, the Menin Gate. I have also included in this post some other pics of Ypres simply because i find it a beautiful city.

I would upload more images of the Menin Gate but i feel that no amount of pictures can show the scale and show the overwhelming atmosphere that this place creates.

We visited the Flanders field Museum in Ypres but at the risk of making myself sound older than i am i felt it was too technical and modern. Took the edge of the displays. We went up the bell tower and hope you appreciate James's attempt of a panoramic.

Right Guys, that's it! Sorry for taking up so many pages. If you have any questions or want any more pics of stuff i'm sure i can upload some more.

Jerry, I found Mametz very bizarre, there is only a tiny road going down to it and a small plaque giving you a little information. I feel that considering the loss and importance of Mametz i was expecting to see more tourists. But we were there for a few hours and were the only people. I will be buying the book soon i hope as i would dearly love to learn more about it.

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    I like #18 with the German and the bayoneted rat "Look boys! HQ sent us fresh meat!"
    Haha, i don't know if you can see it in the picture but he has a little dog at his feet. The whole display was about rats and how they dealt with them

?

Fantastic photos. Thank you so much for taking your time and showing them.

Again: Thank you A million!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast