Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Songs about war

Article about: Do you know any songs about war? I know a few, Mother of Mercy by Iron Maiden, and Sodom have alot of songs related to the Vietnam War. Mother of Mercy is maybe the better choice for most of

Default Songs about war

Do you know any songs about war? I know a few, Mother of Mercy by Iron Maiden, and Sodom have alot of songs related to the Vietnam War. Mother of Mercy is maybe the better choice for most of you fellow collectors, because the song is supposed to be a poem by a WW1 frontline soldier, and it is very calming. The Sodom songs may not propably sound good on your ears because it is thrash metal, but thats the way I like it.
    That brings me to the other question, what is your musical preference? I have been into metal since I was 6 years old, so that makes it ten years. Children of Bodom started it all for me. I like thrash, black, and death metal. Of course I sometimes listen to those artists that everybody loves. Michael Jackson, Kari Tapio, James Brown etc.
    Here are some live videos of Children of Bodom, no wonder they call Alexi Laiho a guitar god. Look at that incredible playing. He plays lead guitar and sings.
    Children Of Bodom - Mask Of Sanity(live) - YouTube
    Children Of Bodom - Kissing The Shadows - YouTube

Default Re: Songs about war

My music taste is quite diverse, although, to be honest, Thrash Metal is not among my choice of listening.

As for songs with war-related subjects, here is a totally subjective, random selection of some of my personal favorites, in no particular order whatsoever:

- And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda
    - No Man's Land
    - The Diggers' Legacy
    - Dedication Day

(all by Eric Bogle)

- When the Tigers Broke Free
    (by Pink Floyd)

- I Was Only Nineteen or A Walk in the Light Green
    (by Redgum)

- Goodnight Saigon
    (by Billy Joel)

- Stonewall Jackson's Way
    - Riding a Raid
    - Maryland my Maryland
    - The Army of the Free

(as performed by Tennessee Ernie Ford; all are period songs from the American Civil War)

- Lili Marleen
    (in Lale Andersen's period version)

- The White Cliffs of Dover
    (by Vera Lynn)

- Stop the Cavalry
    (by Jona Lewie)

- Camouflage
    (by Stan Ridgway)

Last edited by Nick Hessens; 09-12-2011 at 07:18 PM. Reason: spelling

1. Lili Marlene by Lale Andersen
    2. Waltzing Matilda (WWI song but one of the best warsongs ever)
    3. Sag mir wo die Blühmen sind by Marlene Dietrich

Oooo, Vietnam War music. I totally forgot about that. Here is another great song. Somehow I always think of Rush Hour with Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker!
    War - Edwin Starr - YouTube

Camouflage - Stan Ridgeway, great choice

I quite liked this:

Nineteen - Paul Hardcastle - YouTube

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Stickgrenade View Post
    Camouflage - Stan Ridgeway, great choice
    Loved the song the moment my teenage self first heard it on the radio at the time it was in the charts (hard to believe that was 25 years ago...!) and love it still. For me, Ridgway is one of the truly great storytellers of American music.

This one is another good one, a really emotional song, about the singers grandfather who fought in the Winter War. Its in finnish, so that might be a problem for some of you
    ARTTU WISKARI - TUNTEMATON POTILAS (OFFICIAL) - YouTube

There's some great songs on this thread, thank's folk's!!

But if one song makes one reflect, and brings a tear to the eye, it's got to be 'The Green Fields of France' or otherwise known as 'The Ballad of Willie McBride' written by Eric Bogle about the Ulster 36th Division on the Somme in 1916. Here it is performed By Davey Arthur & the Furies, just take five....

The Green Fields Of France - YouTube

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Good call on Barry McGuire, kinda epitomises the 60's in general.

Eve of destruction- Barry McGuire.- original version - YouTube

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast