Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sound Of Music

Article about: What?? No Photos??

Default Sound Of Music

My wife has been bugging me to take her out to a play or an opera,,,so the Sound Of Music is coming around to my area. This play I know i will not mind at all to sit through as most likely I will be critiquing the uniforms of the Germans,,as for my wife she will enjoy the music and the story. I know some of these plays are not as exact as what we expect in Uniforms and accoutrements. So it should make for an interesting night,,and hopefully I will not get thrown out for laughing in the middle of the play.
    Im sure my wife will be bewildered when I blurt out in disgust,,,"wrong time period for that item"!!!
    An interesting play none the less.

Anyway here is a Playbill and something extra to what the story is about!.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Default Re: Sound Of Music

Critiquing German uniforms and weapons while watching a chick show with the wife is never a good idea.....It generally ends with a resulting smack in the ear hole by a small female fist....(I have No idea how I know this...)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Critiquing German uniforms and weapons while watching a chick show with the wife is never a good idea.....It generally ends with a resulting smack in the ear hole by a small female fist....(I have No idea how I know this...)
    Happens to me all the time at movies lol

You should let them borrow someof your daggers for stage props haha dont forget after you tell your wife how much you enjoyed it you can come on here and tell us what you really thought!

I am hopeful to get back stage or near there and take a few pics of the actors in uniform.....just for laughs
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Here's a fact you may or may not know, the Father, Georg von Trapp was a Austro-Hungarian U-boat Captain patroling the Mediterranean and Adriatic Seas during WW1.

If you would care to read his memoirs get the Book;
    Georg von Trapp
    To The Last Salute
    Memories of an Austrian U-Boat Commander

Couldn't have been a very Good one...you'd think every ship within Miles would hear that horrible Singing approaching....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Couldn't have been a very Good one...you'd think every ship within Miles would hear that horrible Singing approaching....

We have pictures!
    vontrapp.jpg
    It really is an interesting read.

It's traditional here in the U.K. to dress up in character when going to musicals, so you may want to hire a nuns outfit or wear lederhosen and an iron cross to impress the others in the audience. You never know, you may even be upgraded by the management to a stageside box, them being so overwhelmed by your efforts.

I bet you look great in a wimple Larry.....

Oh, and don't forget to take a hip flask, as the half time drinks in the theatre bar are extortionate, they usually charge like the freaking Light Brigade.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Ned.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

just got back from the Sound of Music,,show...which was performed in an old theatre from the early 1920s. The inside remained as it had since those times with period maintenance. Great old building.
    The show was done well......but when it came time for the uniforms is when I began to cringe. Bob Coleman,,FB and others would of had a coronary but laughing. A gauleiter showed up in a brown suit with a big brown pimp hat...he looked more like gestapo than a gauleiter. The armband was on the right arm with the very short legged swastika.
    An Admiral showed up,,wanting to take Mr Von Trapp to Bremerhaven to command a ship...but the admiral was just as laughable as he wore a black over coat with the same type of armband on the wrong arm. His cap was black with no insignia...but the cap band was all red!!.......... WTF is that??
    What became a little unnerving for me as when the Von trapp family was supposed to perform at a concert..the auditorium transformed into all german battle flags on the sides of the theatre and big swastika flags hanging as a back drop. The room was dimly lit which was the only point of near realism. The Von Trapp family disappeared before their encore which brought more laughter from myself as the were just brown shirts with no insignia or caps..just those horrid armbands. The Von trapps were confronted by 1 stormtrooper with a Broom handled mauser,,but quickly left as he was in love with the eldest daughter. They escaped into Switzerland and it was the end of the show.

End summary:........totally not within the guidelines of period realism...almost embarrassing,, but the content of the story and acting was well choreographed
    My wife commented on the armbands also and she knows nothing about the history of the TR period,,but seen from what i collect and my postings here ,,even she knew it was wrong.
    Sorry to sound like a critic,,but if a performance is to produced..then it should have taken in consideration to added realism. Maybe too many nannys in the theatre,,might of caused the wardrobe manager to water it down a bit. Still a nice night out

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast