Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Soviet soldiers with unissued German medals...

Article about: First of all sorry if all you guys have seen this . Somehow i missed it and it blew me away seeing these pics so i thought i would share incase any of you missed it. secondly sorry if its in

Default Soviet soldiers with unissued German medals...

First of all sorry if all you guys have seen this . Somehow i missed it and it blew me away seeing these pics so i thought i would share incase any of you missed it.
    secondly sorry if its in the wrong section...

Thought I'd share these lovely photos I've seen posted elsewhere.

Soviet soldiers resting on the steps of the Reich Chancellery looking at German medals that have not yet been awarded, nor will they be, photographed by Yevgeniy Khaldei (Berlin May 1945)

IMG_7354.JPG

IMG_7355.JPG

IMG_7356.JPG

I Hate photos like these....give me a gunny sack and 10 minutes and I'd happily clean up the whole front steps for Ivan and his buddy....and that British Sargent has enough SS Long Service medals on his chest to tempt an armed holdup....(He probably threw the boxes away so he could play with the medals...)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

i wonder how many of these unissued medals are floating about without cases in Russia. Must be a fair few

Russian soldiers usually did not take the enemy awards as a souvenir. For us it is not accepted. It could take as a souvenir SS dagger or a "walther", but not a german medal.

kc1
    ?

The bottom picture with the two tommies, the lance jack does he have a gold wound badge on his right pocket, could it be a 20th july one, could it be waiting in some dark drawer?

Unfortunately, I would imagine that many of these pieces eventually got themselves swept up and tossed in the garbage bin...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

CBH
    ?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    I Hate photos like these....give me a gunny sack and 10 minutes and I'd happily clean up the whole front steps for Ivan and his buddy....and that British Sargent has enough SS Long Service medals on his chest to tempt an armed holdup....(He probably threw the boxes away so he could play with the medals...)
    He's Canadian , Black Watch . I'd be happy with the just the cases

Any Brits bringing back "trophies" were in a whole lot of bother. I know it happened but not openly like that Canadian soldier. You'd have spent some time in Colchester glasshouse. A friend of mine did & didn't enjoy it at all. Stewy

CBH
    ?

I know many trophies went over the side on approach to Halifax , mostly the Bang Bang type .

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    A man after my own heart.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast