Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Is there any other tune that evokes ww2 than this?

Article about: Glenn Millers 'Moonlight Serenade' ‪B-17 WW2 Bombing raids (to moonlight serenade)‬‏ - YouTube Nick

Default Is there any other tune that evokes ww2 than this?

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Default Re: Is there any other tune that evokes ww2 than this?

I think 'Colonel Bogey' for the 'Forgotten Army' is far more evocative, but that's just me, each to his own.

‪Bridge on the River Kwai Theme‬‏ - YouTube

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Don`t forget LILI MARLEEN sung by both sides.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

To me, anyway, it will always be Vera Lynn's "We'll Meet Again" She also did the old standard "The White Cliffs of Dover" -another wartime classic. William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

'Moonlight Serenade' is a very nostalgic sounding piece. I love all Glen Miller's stuff !
    There was a certain quality to big band music, and no one will ever make songs
    and instrumentals quite like them again.

I don't know if Miller wrote 'American Patrol' but I like that one, as well as his
    rendition of 'Little Brown Jug'.

'White Cliffs Of Dover' as William mentions, is a very moving piece........!
    Regards,

Steve.

For me, too, it's Lili Marleen - especially in Lale Andersen's period version - and Vera Lynn's The White Cliffs of Dover. I never tire of hearing either.

The ghostly final verse of Lili Marleen gives me goosebumps and I just love the elegant lyrics of The White Cliffs... beautifully bringing alive the British wartime mood and spirit without expressly mentioning the war, using images like "the angry skies" in a time "when the shadows fell..." instead.

(We'll meet again is a fine song, too, of course, but thanks to the genius of Stanley Kubrick I always associate it with nuclear holocaust rather than WW2. Those who know the finale of "Dr. Strangelove" will know what I mean...)

Anyway, while it might not be as universally representative of the whole WW2 era or as popular as those mentioned above, allow me to add another alltime favorite of mine:
    ‪The Ballad of Rodger Young‬‏ - YouTube

A little more light-hearted tune that is much forgotten too, but is equally evocative is "When the Lights Come On Again", by, both Glenn Miller and the "voice of British radio" Vera Lynn. A terrible shame that Glenn had to die such a needless death. His body never was recovered. William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."