Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Third Reich item sales from Germany - legal or illegal?

Article about: Can Third Reich items be bought and posted from Germary to other Europian Union countries and the United States of America? What does German Law say? Thanks in advance, PY.

Default Third Reich item sales from Germany - legal or illegal?

Can Third Reich items be bought and posted from Germary to other Europian Union countries and the United States of America? What does German Law say?
    Thanks in advance, PY.

If I Understand correctly your question ... German law prohibits those items that have any swastikas on them to be owned within Germany......outside Germany or here in the US there are no laws that say we can not except what the liberal cry babies warn us how these items are evil LOL.

More members from other countries can chime in on what their laws stipulate.
    I will move this topic to discussions.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Greetings Gents,

In all frankness, it is about context. Other than various weapons, munitions, armored vehicles contemporary to the Nazi period it is not a crime in and of itself, to privately own Nazi Regalia in Germany. What is, is the public display of, the dissemination of the associated ideology's paraphernalia or too, anything akin to the Holocaust's denial. If you are a museum, an educator, or a private collector and (key here) not publicly espousing/disseminating Nazi's flavored political/ideological beliefs; there is no issue concerning prosecution under German Law. Many Nazi period items are regularly offered for sale from flea markets to domestic militaria shows within Germany. The offending symbols/personalities are always covered by strategically placed stickers and or refrigerator type magnets (e.g. for helmets) and there is no issue (at least, actually being prosecuted under German Law) with their public sale. I visited a small militaria show yesterday, not a single instance of any of any the show's vendors being carted away by the polizei for selling covered/masked Nazi Regalia (& it most certainly was there).

If you view this page Strafgesetzbuch section 86a - Wikipedia you can get an idea of the specifics of German law as it pertains to these Nazi (& other) symbols. Put Nazi items in your residence's window, march at a demonstration with them displayed, or otherwise make a nuisance of yourself because you have some political/religious ax to grind, then yes, you will face prosecution under German Law. Collect and maintain for your private enjoyment/education, no issues whatsoever. Have not been aware of any issue(s) with import or export of Nazi Regalia related items in or out of Germany. That said, if it is non-contemporary Nazi Regalia (i.e. newly made), that would fall under dissemination/distribution and receive/garner the authorities attention. German Customs when it comes to Knives, Bayonets, and other pointy things importation is fairly strict (restriction's-wise), but like the UK, not so much when exporting. I will leave others more experienced with German import export laws as to what is legal and what is not. I do not collect Nazi Regalia and as such, I have no experience/familiarity with any legalities when it comes to their German import/export.

As an American living in Germany, I would offer what I would consider an applicable reverse analogy, in the same way alcohol is not a big deal in most European Countries, but is well regulated (in terms of law enforcement) in the USA, that's the way Nazi and other extreme ideologies are regulated over here (like alcohol in the USA). Whereas, in the USA, extremists' ideologies are not regulated in the manner that they are here. Is either system perfect, of course not, but it is what it is. OK, I do apologize for the long winded post. The take away here, is private ownership of and sales of Nazi Regalia in Germany is not an issue; as long as it isn't accompanied with the associated public political/ideological/anti-religious activism.

I'm sure our German and other European forum's members will point out areas where I have missed or failed to interpret things correctly vis a vis German Law, but in my past five years living here; the above is what I have personally viewed/experienced. Whew, I need a beer :-)

Best,

V/r Lance
    Last edited by MilitariaOne; 06-30-2019 at 05:33 PM.

Lance, thanks very much for a most informative post. Very helpful explanation of German Law. Best regards, Chris.