Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Tidal-Wave Mission

Article about: Wow, I finally figured out (maybe) how to post a new message. How many of you know what is the most famous fought ground-air battle of WWII? It was the most highly decorated US Air Force mis

dejacque
    ?

Default Tidal-Wave Mission

Wow, I finally figured out (maybe) how to post a new message.
    How many of you know what is the most famous fought ground-air battle of WWII? It was the most highly decorated US Air Force mission, with FIVE Congressional Medals of Honor awarded. I am looking for information on and any possible relics from that battle, that may be out there.
    The battle took place in Rumania, over the oil refineries of Ploesti, August 1, 1943. It was called "Tidal-Wave". It was more heavely defended than Berlin by the Germans. 178 B-24s from 5 Bomb Groups flying out of North Africa flew the 14 hr, 2,400 mile mission with a loss of 54 Liberators.
    Anyone have any authentic pieces, memorabilia, pictures, information, etc., on this mission?
    Thank you.
    kent

Default Re: Tidal-Wave Mission

Hi Kent, welcome to the forum! Glad you have figured out how to post OK now.

I certainly have heard of the mission. Very famous indeed. I would love to see any relics of this raid.

We have several Rumanian forum members, maybe they can help?

Cheers, Ade.