Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

TIG and MIG wielding

Article about: I want to know more on this...what is MIG and TIG wielding?Is there any advantage on doing this on metal.And is there any specific metal that this is applicable.Is this wielding is same to n

michael4
    ?

Thumbs up TIG and MIG wielding

I want to know more on this...what is MIG and TIG wielding?Is there any advantage on doing this on metal.And is there any specific metal that this is applicable.Is this wielding is same to normal one?

Default Re: TIG and MIG wielding

Attached Images Attached Images
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by michael4 View Post
    I want to know more on this...what is MIG and TIG wielding?Is there any advantage on doing this on metal.And is there any specific metal that this is applicable.Is this wielding is same to normal one?
    Are you sure you are in the right place ??
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

In welding ( not wielding ) terminology, MIG stands for 'metal inert gas' which uses an auto feeding wire that both arcs and also is a weld filler acting in a shielding oxygen free gas to avoid impurities. TIG is 'tungsten inert gas' which has an fixed tungsten electrode which makes the arc to which a filler wire is manually added.

There you are ........and off you go! :-)

I hope to god you aren't planning on welding any helmets...

?

TIG has a lot higher heat input and also a slower travel speed than Mig, In my opinion TIG is also a LOT more difficult to perfect.

if your looking to do "Neat" welding on small items, then go for TIG, if your looking at welding larger items with a ticker wall thickness go for MIG

I do Gas pipeline welding inspection for a job and most of the welding is MMA , so is different again lol
    Last edited by Gouldy; 04-28-2012 at 10:22 AM.

?

tig definately has a travel speed that CAN be slower than other forms of electrical welding but all the variables decide that such as thickness(thicker-higher amps = faster travel speed),desired pass size(welding procedures often ask for certain root and cap run sizes) and material type(aluminium for example does require slightly higher amperage but pulsed to avoid subsidence and given the high heat soaking charteristics a higher travel speed)...biggest advantage with tig is control,can be equated to gas welding though of course far more modern,can be very finely tuned to weld extremely thin materials