Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

The 'took it from a dead soldier' tales.

Article about: Guys, In response to a thread in the Third Reich awards forum I just want to say a few words regarding those veteran stories where they claim to have killed an enemy and taken the awards fro

?

Default The 'took it from a dead soldier' tales.

Guys,

In response to a thread in the Third Reich awards forum I just want to say a few words regarding those veteran stories where they claim to have killed an enemy and taken the awards from that person.

We know by now that very often these stories may have a grain of truth about them but also there is a healthy dose of fabrication in most cases.

Hearing these tales is all well and good but we need to remember that in re-telling them - if it's really necessary - we should consider the way in which we tell them. A touch of sensitivity goes along way.

Our members are from all over the world and from all sides of conflict in history. Hearing a story about how a soldier killed someone and then robbed his body may be great when you're a schoolboy (or girl) but as adults we should remember that the dead soldier in the story will have had family, friends, they were a person.
    Anyone of our members here may have had a relative in the war who hasn't got any trace of their service, none of their awards because that person's body was stripped by opposing forces. Therefore it is particularly galling when such stories are told with such relish. Please consider the impact your words might have on someone else and if the story doesn't need to be told, then please don't.

It was a different time and people felt differently then. What was once viewed as acceptable may not be today and I am far from being politically correct but this is about compassion and being aware of the sensitivities of others. Our German friends don't want to hear how their countrymen, Fathers, Grandfathers, Uncles had their bodies stripped of decorations by the people who killed them just as I wouldn't want to hear how the bodies of my countrymen were robbed by any German or Japanese soldier.

These stories will always be associated with collecting militaria but it would be greatly appreciated that in telling them you consider the feelings of others who's relatives may have been affected.

Thank you.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Default Re: The 'took it from a dead soldier' tales.

The only one's I've heard/read usually and unfortunately come with a fake attached.
    Rise & ReverberateGib mir wieder etwas Schönes

Well said Adrian !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

I couldn't agree more!

Well said!

The Kinks got it right....

SOME MOTHER'S SON.

Some mothers son lies in a field.
    Someone has killed some mothers son today,
    Head blown up by some soldiers gun,
    While all the mothers stand and wait,
    Some mothers son aint coming home today,
    Some mothers son aint got no grave.

Two soldiers fighting in a trench,
    One soldier glances up to see the sun,
    And dreams of games he played when he was young,
    And then his friend calls out his name,
    It stops his dream and as he turns his head,
    A second later he is dead.

Some mothers son lies in a field,
    Back home they put his picture in a frame,
    But all dead soldiers look the same,
    While all the parents stand and wait,
    To meet their children coming home from school,
    Some mothers son is lying dead.

Somewhere someone is crying,
    Someone is trying to be so brave,
    But still the world keeps turning,
    Though all the children have gone away.

Some mothers son lies in a field,
    But in his mothers eyes he looks the same,
    As on the day he went away.

They put his picture on the wall,
    They put flowers in the picture frame,
    Some mothers memory remains.

It's getting dusty in here...

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Very true Ade!...