Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

the Tower of London Poppies.

Article about: I was in London this week and saw this commemorative installation. You can buy the poppies online if you want one and each is named to a different soldier who fell in the Great War. I had sp

Quote by Anon View Post
    I got an email the other day stating that the poppy might not arrive until the new year because there are so many of them to send off when they take the display down after the 11th.

I'll post some pics of it when it arrives.
    Same here, It's not suprising since there's nearly 900,000 of them.

I read somewhere that all the poppies that get damaged or broken during the time of 'planting' will be returned to the manfacturers who will have them buried, as each one represents a life lost. Every night since August 11th a token amount of names that have been nominated by the public subscribers is being read out, around 180 a night. That will total just over 18,500 war dead by the end of the display on November 11th. This is done at sunset and the Last Post is sounded at the end of each reading.

The readings each night have been recorded and can be seen here:

https://poppies.hrp.org.uk/roll-of-honour

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi All, it's getting so bad at Tower bridge now that they had to Plywood along the road side to keep the tourists away from the road. Health and Saftly. We volunteered 2 weeks ago to pick the poppies after the 11th November and we have a slot of 3 hours on the 13th. Will try to post some up close pictures.
    Regards SK

Default Poppy picking at Tower Bridge.

Hi, here some close up pics of the poppies being picked, an average of 60-80k a day. A few picks of the rubber grommets and metal stems etc.
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    image.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg
    and of course HMS BELFAST.
    Last edited by Silberkreuz; 11-13-2014 at 10:26 PM.

?

Missed this thread dammit or I would have bought one. Great memorial it was, wish I could have seen it in person.

I also just figured out that Anon is Jerry B.

This is what you get, if you were quick enough to buy one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I notice that demand is so high for the poppies that several attempts have been made to steal them from the lorries and one case was reported that one of the pickers might have stolen one.

BBC News - Tower of London poppies targeted by thieves

The operation to remove around 888,246 ceramics poppies at the Tower of London has been dogged by attempted thefts.

Ceramic artist Paul Cummins - who designed the exhibit - told the BBC that people have tried to break into lorries containing the poppies.

Mr Cummins said thieves had been trying to take the poppies ever since they were installed.

The last poppy of the Blood-Swept Lands and Seas of Red is scheduled to be removed on 28 November.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi great display of them my Grandma's arrived yesterday and ours today

?

Still waiting for mine to arrive !! Unbeleivable that some of the scum of the earth who we now have to live with in the UK would have enough disrespect to actually try and steal them to make a profit

Mine's just got here! Sunday 1.00p.m. delivery, the courier guy just told me he's got over 25 onboard for delivery in this part of the county today.

A word of warning to others still waiting. Be careful to open the box by the tear tape down the side and don't be tempted to open by the ends or with a knife as the carton is a part of 'display' so to speak. Luckily I reigned in my enthusiasm to tear it apart to get to the goodies inside this time! It's great, i'm really pleased with mine, it's still got dirt on it from the Tower of London moat that will be left for posterity, as is often seen as best practice in our hobby......

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Here is our example which came in Dec. Only just got around to taking a pic. Like Ned, we are not cleaning it.

Cheers, Ade.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast