Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Treat for myself

Article about: Hi Ben, I used to have a B3 jacket that was treated with a coating of some sort that quickly distressed over a few months to the ideal required finish, it came with a 'swatch' of sheepskin p

Hi Ben,

I used to have a B3 jacket that was treated with a coating of some sort that quickly distressed over a few months to the ideal required finish, it came with a 'swatch' of sheepskin pinned to it to show what it would look like when it had been worn a bit, and it was dead right! Mind you, it was over £300 then, 24 years ago.... Eastman Leather Clothing do a similar coating called 'Timeworn' on their A1's and '44 pattern Irvin jackets, but that one is getting towards the thick end of a grand. Check it out:

Eastman Leather Clothing - British Flight Jackets : Raf1944

I wouldn't go buying an expensive jacket and start slathering it in any leather oil/food or suchlike though, it'll only darken it and ruin the effect, like putting Cherry Blossom on a pair of Dessies....

My advice would be buy the best you possibly can and let it 'break in' naturally.

Regards, Ned
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Cheers Ned, I have gone for the Irvin jacket, I will probably let wear naturally, its a lot of money to be messing around with, in time it will age nicely I think. I will just have to wear it a lot!

https://www.flying-jacket.com/product-details.aspx?id=1

Cheers

- - ------- - -

PS The Eastman did look nice but for me I wanted the Irvin one
    Ben

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    Cheers Ned, I have gone for the Irvin jacket, I will probably let wear naturally, its a lot of money to be messing around with, in time it will age nicely I think. I will just have to wear it a lot!

https://www.flying-jacket.com/product-details.aspx?id=1

Cheers

- - ------- - -

PS The Eastman did look nice but for me I wanted the Irvin one
    It's a class jacket. Are you gonna go with pockets or stay authentic? I'd go for the pockets, but i'm just a fraud.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

No mate I have gone for the pockets Need some where to put my phone (and hands)
    Ben

?

A great looking jacket. Ive always admired them.

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    Paul, for what these cost I shall be patting it, hugging and it and calling it George!!
    Hahaaah, for anyone who knows where that quote is from (and has an iota of humour), that should instantly crack at least a smile!
    It took me by surprise and I laughed out loud - now people look at me, as if Im (even more of) a loon.
    I blame Ben.....
    Last edited by Scout; 02-19-2014 at 10:41 PM.

That saying makes me smile all the time lol childhood memories
    Ben

That's a nice looking jacket Ben forgive me for asking I am not much up on allied flight gear is a Irvin one a British one? Looks like the ones you see in The Battle of Britton. timothy

Yes Timothy, these were the WW2 fighter/bomber jackets, very iconic in the UK
    Ben

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2