Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown Military Mask. Possibly cold weather? Gas Mask?

Article about: Hey guys, I've been a long time reader of the forums but have just recently made an account here. I've been a collector of gas masks for about 8 years now and I'm completely stumped on this

Default Unknown Military Mask. Possibly cold weather? Gas Mask?

Hey guys,

I've been a long time reader of the forums but have just recently made an account here. I've been a collector of gas masks for about 8 years now and I'm completely stumped on this mask.

A little background:

I received this mask a couple of years ago from a collector by the name of Viktor Ferrando. I was told at the time that the mask was a WWI Italian Tampone prototype. However, after receiving it and talking with a couple of other collectors we've come to the conclusion that it is not a Tampone prototype. The hardware is too complicated to be a WWI prototype and the mask does not make a seal around the face at all. The mask does not have any markings, and looks like it was modified over time (Some buttons with "combi" can be seen at the bottom. The carrier is stamped 1916 but I have no idea if it is the original container.

I'm completely confused as to its origin or purpose. If anyone has any information on this it would be much appreciated.

Full.jpgDisplay.jpgFront.jpgProfile.jpgInside.jpgBack.jpgAcc.jpg

MAP
    ?

Welcome to the forum. This is an interesting one. Not sure if it would be for cold weather. The lack of a hole to vent the moisture laden breath would quickly get the inside damp and ultimate freeze up, defeating the purpose. I could be totally wrong with this assumption however. Wish I could be of more help but never seen anything like this before. Sure some the guys more experienced with GM's will be around to help!

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks for the welcome! I've been meaning to make an account for years and now I finally had a reason to!

MAP
    ?

Quote by SNICKLEFRITZ View Post
    Thanks for the welcome! I've been meaning to make an account for years and now I finally had a reason to!
    Welcome again. Hope some guys come along to help. Stick around. Lots to see and learn.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Could it possibly be a WW1 mask for a dog? I appreciate these images are not identical, however, the mask appears quite long which would cover the muzzle of the dog and the extra straps would keep it in place.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not sure if it would be a canine mask; the shape does not seem to go with it. Plus, it does not create a seal so it would not give much protection.

?

I have a "gimp" mask from a post WWII Russian tanker uniform... Looks similar... Just a thought....