Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US Army brat in Cold War West Germany

Article about: My father served with the US Army, 1958 - 1979. For some of that time he was based in West Germany, firstly in Hanau and, secondly, Bad Kissingen. I was born into the military and was a 'Arm

Default US Army brat in Cold War West Germany

My father served with the US Army, 1958 - 1979. For some of that time he was based in West Germany, firstly in Hanau and, secondly, Bad Kissingen. I was born into the military and was a 'Army Brat' until my teens. I wish to show some of the things that came my way during my childhood, things that I kept from our European tours. These may not be of much interest to the European members of this forum, but may be of interest to the American members, especially those who were in the US military or who may, themselves, have been 'brats' on foreign soil. During our time in West Germany, during the 1970s, there were over 250000 GIs and flyboys based there. Working in US military installations, living in military dependents housing areas, going to DoD schools, shopping at the PX or commissary onbase, there was a whole seperate culture which shouldn't be forgotten.

Attachment 407471

My last ID card in Germany, April to May 1979. The one after this lasted until 1986, but this was the last foreign assignment ID I was issued.
    Last edited by Alexander; 10-07-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Default Re: US Army brat in Cold War West Germany

Attachment 407473Attachment 407472

Maps of West Germany issued by the AAFES (Army & Air Force Exchange Service) showing Esso and BP gas stations, also AAFES Autobahn stations, for use by US military personnel in 1974 & 1978.

Attachment 407474

AAFES gasoline coupons, with their issued coupon book, for use at AAFES, ESSO and BP (Autobahn locations only) gas stations in West Germany. These are from 1979.
    Last edited by Alexander; 10-07-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Attachment 407476Attachment 407475

The reason we were there, the Soviet Cold War threat. Occasionally the Soviets would come across the border and snoop around US military convoys, installations or bases, so we were always told to keep an eye out for them. This was my card which I was given in the mid 1970s. I never saw any of these liaison vehicles. We did see many East German, Polish and other eastern European trucks on the autobahns, at the time we thought that they were spying. After the fall of communism we were proved correct in this.

Attachment 407478Attachment 407477

AAFES Food Service card which was given out free at the snack bars. The card shows what was available and also how many calories the food had. The EES refers to the European Exchange System which operated the base movie theaters, PXs, comissaries, snack bars etc.

I grew up in the Mannheim area as an Army Brat...thanks for the memories! Glenn

Interesting items from a now bygone era.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Attachment 407567Attachment 407566Attachment 407568

Monthly publication issued by the Department of the Army for use by mechanics and supply personnel. This is the May 1975 issue. As kids we'd read them as comics, they were always lying around the motorpool areas. This publication is still issued to the army today. The M113s and M114s were widely used by the cav units guarding the frontier between West and East Germany, until replaced by the Bradleys in the 1980s. The centerfold is interesting as though our equipment was better than that of the BAOR and the Soviet armor, it wasn't really better than the West German Marders and Leopards in use back then.
    The gal's name is Connie.

Attachment 407913

USAREUR window sticker for POVs, late 1970s. This one was for Daley Barracks, Bavaria. Though the 2/11 ACR was based in the VII Corp sector, it was still part of V Corps.

Attachment 407930Attachment 407929

USAREUR / Military Intelligence booklet dated 1974 on Soviet bloc armored vehicles which I acquired in Germany. Inside are the typical bad photos of Soviet armored which were released by the Dept. of Defense during this period. There were a whole series of these booklets for identifying everything from personal weapons to tanks to aircraft.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast