Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

US Tank Company - 1922

Article about: Howdy, not sure if this is the correct forum as I am more familiar with the German buckle and dagger areas. I could not pull the original pic out of the old frame that hung in my Grandparent

?

Default US Tank Company - 1922

Howdy, not sure if this is the correct forum as I am more familiar with the German buckle and dagger areas. I could not pull the original pic out of the old frame that hung in my Grandparents house, so I took closeups of the interesting areas.

Hope you all find it interesting.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

In the 2nd pic, my grandfather is 5th from the right.

?

Nice pictures.

Great to have family photos like this.

Thanks for showing it Jeff.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I was going to say that I was surprised there was no Dog in the photo, as so many companies had their Mascots, but There he is on the turret! lol Nice photo! The VA hospital nearby here has a large collection of these panoramic company photos on the wall near the lobby. I could sit and examine them for hours! I have one around here somewhere of the company in Civilian clothes-apparently just after discharge, but there is no Writing on the back to identify them and what company they were with, so it remains a mystery!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Nice photo's Jeff.

The tank is a French Renault FT that was probably one of the 950 odd post WW1 licence built versions produced in the U.S.A. as the M1917. The Defense Act of 1920 restricted tanks to infantry use only; and as a result the wartime Tank Corps was disbanded, with the remaining tanks distributed among the infantry.

Therefore if the date is correct, it's safe to assume that these guys are an infantry outfit and not tankists per se.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Glad you guys like the pics, and the dog on the turret is great! I had to search around some but also found these to be French Renault type tanks as Ned states - thanks for the details on the tank here Ned. The photo has written on the lower right corner: 35 Tank Co. Camp Clark Nevada, MO
    (MO = Missouri)

Jeff