Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Very sad news: Sgt Don Turner XXI Indep Para Coy

Article about: Last night I had a phone call to say my friend Don passed away yesterday. I had known Don for 13 years. We met in Arnhem. He always had a glint in his eye and a ready smile. I have the honou

Default Very sad news: Sgt Don Turner XXI Indep Para Coy

Last night I had a phone call to say my friend Don passed away yesterday.

I had known Don for 13 years. We met in Arnhem. He always had a glint in his eye and a ready smile.

I have the honour of having several items of Don's in my collection.

Don volunteered for the Army in 1939 and was with the Royal West Kent's. He volunteered for the Parachute Regt in 1942 and joined the Company directly being "cherry picked" straight from training by the CO Major Lander.

He fought in North Africa, Italy, Arnhem, Norway, and Palestine. He stayed in the Army until 1950.

He is survived my his wife Olive (married since the war) and daughter Janet.

Don told me many stories over the years. He always spoke open and frankly. I will add some of these in the coming weeks once I feel up to it.

RIP Don. It was an honour to have known you and called you a friend.

Cheers, Ade.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

They dont make them like that anymore...it would be great if you shared some of those stories.

?

My condolances to his family and his friends.

Its sad when friends and family die my grandad who joined the RAF in 1945 died when I was 4 so that was 8 years ago now, I never got to hear his stories . You looked like really good friends too.
    Lest We forget
    Last edited by Steelhead10; 08-15-2014 at 11:24 AM.
    Best Regards Matt

On the look out for original ww2 M26 Adrian helmet liner.

?

Lest We Forget .

Greg

Very sad Ade another gone from such a brave generation,my condolences to all..............

Utrinque Paratus.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Another one gone, Lest We Forget.

At every passing year, those who served grow smaller in number. It up to the living to make sure their sacrifice is never forgotten. Sgt Don Turner, I salute you and thank you for your service to your country all those years ago.

?

R.i.p

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast