Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

день победы! Victory Day London May 9th 2012

Article about: Hi Guys, just got home from a few days in London in order to attend Victory Day May 9th celebrations. Our day started early, ensuring uniforms were pressed and boots polished. Our first even

Default день победы! Victory Day London May 9th 2012

Hi Guys, just got home from a few days in London in order to attend Victory Day May 9th celebrations.

Our day started early, ensuring uniforms were pressed and boots polished. Our first event was at the Soviet War Memorial next door to the IWM. Myself and two comrades from 2nd Guards laid a wreath in memory of the fallen. It is pretty nerve racking marching in front of so many VIP's. But all went well. All the embassies of the former Soviet Union were in attendance as well as many veterans including a group of vets of the Great Patriotic War flown in specially from Russia. We also met up with veteran friends from the Arctic Convoy Club.

The Russian Embassy in the UK have some photos and video of the event on their website, and I feature in pics and video:

Victory Day celebrated in London

Interview with living history group 2nd Guards Rifle Division

After food and drinks care of Embassies, we headed off to the Thames, where we accompanied the Vets on a cruise down the river. A VERY nice touch was the opening of Tower Bridge (not done very often) simply to salute the Vets!

More pics here:

2012 – HMS Belfast | Victory Day London

After the river cruise we boarded HMS Belfast for a private reception. After a pleasant couple of hours on the ship we moved to the riverside venue for a gala concert by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra who played the 1812 Overture with live (blank) cannon fire provided by HMS Belfast. The day was finished off with the Vets at the pub!

My friend Keith Nisbet from Normandy 44 living history group kindly took lots of pics for the days events:

» Victory Day 2012 KEITH NISBET PHOTOGRAPHY

Last night we attended the Bloomsbury Theatre by very kind invitation of the Belarus Ambassador to see a special cultural event of ballet & opera. A first for 2nd Guards at a high cultural event! We really enjoyed it too.

Also see here: for the Russian Language newspaper in the UK "Angliya" as both Victory Day and a special feature about our group can be seen.

Angliya - Russian Weekly Newspaper

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Default Re: день победы! Victory Day London May 9th 2012

Great links Ade, thanks for posting them. Good to see you and your good lady in several.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Good show Ade. Looks like you had a wonderful time.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Looks like a amazing day to share remembrance and to celebrate Victory Day! Wish I could have been there.
    Thanks, Glen.

?

Very nice thread Ade.

Thanks guys. It was a very memorable day.

This morning I leave for the British Paras re-union this weekend, so it has been a busy week!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Great stuff Ade , have a good weekend !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Thanks a lot for this post! Its great to see so much enthusiasm in the UK! I am sure it was a very memorable experience! I have seen one of the Russian veterans (an old lady) in the news a few years ago, she participates very often in this type of events, to my knowledge.

BTW, nice video Adrian

A very honorable thing to do Ade

Thank you

Burt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast