MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Vietnam chopper pilot Ed Freeman MOH RIP

Article about: Ed Freeman has passed away. Some battle, some guys. Ed Freeman, Medal of Honor, Vietnam War - YouTube Vietnam Vet Honored, 40 Years Later - CBS News

?

Default Vietnam chopper pilot Ed Freeman MOH RIP

Default RIP Ed Freeman

You're an 19 year old kid. You're critically wounded , and dying in the jungle in the Ia Drang Valley , 11-14-1965, LZ X-ray, Vietnam . Your infantry unit is outnumbered 8 - 1, and the enemy fire is so intense, from 100 or 200 yards away, that your own Infantry Commander has ordered the MediVac helicopters to stop coming in.

You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns, and you know you're not getting out. Your family is 1/2 way around the world, 12,000 miles away, and you'll never see them again. As the world starts to fade in and out , you know this is the day.

Then, over the machine gun noise, you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter, and you look up to see an un-armed Huey, but it doesn't seem real, because no Medi-Vac markings are on it.

Ed Freeman is coming for you. He's not Medi-Vac, so it's not his job, but he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire, after the Medi-Vacs were ordered not to come.

He's coming anyway.

And he drops it in, and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 2 or 3 of you on board.

Then he flies you up and out through the gunfire, to the Doctors and Nurses.

And, he kept coming back.... 13 more times.....

And took about 30 of you and your buddies out, who would never have gotten out.

Medal of Honor Recipient , Ed Freeman , died at the age of 80, in Boise ID.
    RIP...
    156433_541296762571526_2025217426_n.jpg

Ed died a few years ago but i think he's worth a mention here!....

?

Default Re: RIP Ed Freeman

A true hero.. & slightly mental...lol.....Men like this ain't born everyday!!....Thanks Paul for mentioning this brave man...Cheers Terry.

?

Here is a link to a thread by Scout a few weeks ago,

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/aviat...oh-rip-275999/
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Sorry guys, i didn't realise Scout had started a thread.
    Splice this to Scout's thread if you can!...

?

No problem Paul these guys deserve as many mentions as we care to provide !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul E View Post
    No problem Paul these guys deserve as many mentions as we care to provide !!
    Indeed so!...

?

Default Re: Vietnam chopper pilot Ed Freeman MOH RIP

Started reading and thought what the heck - especially as Gunny's post was a text was from one of the news stories, that I had read about Ed Freeman prior to posting

Then I read further and the 'splice' dawned on me.

I agree; Some rise above the rest and they deserve all the mention, they can get.

I have only met one person, who wore the MOH, but they ALL have my respect and I salute them.

I met Sammy L. Davis at the Glock afterparty at the 2012 SHOT Show in Las Vegas and I am proud to have shaken his hand and very briefly chatted with him

Real life 'Forrest Gump' is a Medal of Honor recipient | More Local News - KITV Home

The 'Real' Forrest Gump: Sammy L. Davis
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Vietnam chopper pilot Ed Freeman MOH RIP

I too have met Sammy at the shot show. He is a very nice man to talk too.
    If ever any of you get the chance to meet him at one of these Functions, please do so.
    It was an honor to meet and talk to him.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.