Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

War Films

Article about: Saving Private Ryan Bridge Too Far Enemy At The Gates ( a bit cheesy but I liked Rachel Weiss as a Russian soldier)! We were Soldiers Platoon Nick

Default Re: War Films

Saving Private Ryan
    Bridge Too Far
    Enemy At The Gates ( a bit cheesy but I liked Rachel Weiss as a Russian soldier)!
    We were Soldiers
    Platoon

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Wolfspear View Post
    Enemy At The Gates ( a bit cheesy but I liked Rachel Weiss as a Russian soldier)!
    Agreed!!

?

i agree with some of the other lad`s with Das Boot , that was a great film , and i also like :

Reach for the Sky
    Bridge on the river Kwai
    633 Squadron
    Memphis Belle

cheers Al

?

a few more , they`re all great

A Town like Alice
    The Cruel Sea
    Ice Cold in Alex
    Tora Tora Tora

?

and who can forget :

The Dambusters .......

cheers Al

?

among my favourites are:

A bridge too Far (yes I know this word for word, just ask Ade about the General )

Kelly's Heroes (a fantastic bit of "Mother beautiful" 1970's nonsense, with Donald Sutherland's unscripted Oddball hippy-ness making the film.)

Where Eagles Dare ( a good old fashioned war story, only spoiled by the Bell 47 helicopter)

Downfall ( a very moving account of the last days of the war)

A matter of life and death (not a blood and guts war film but, certainly well ahead of its time, the special effects for a 1940's film are very good)

Shaving Ryan's privates or No! I meant to say Saving private Ryan ( the open twenty minutes is very moving after that I lose interest)

The dirty dozen ( of course I talking about the original film, not the T. V. re-makes, again the training and build up to the mission is great, raiding the Chateau at the end does nothing for me)

The great escape (sorry yes I know, I'll get my coat)

Nige
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

If I had to have 5 then:
    1 The Longest Day
    2 Battle of Britian
    3 Das Boot
    4 Cross of Iron
    5 I'm torn here between Where eagles dare and The Eagle has landed.

There is one I'm still looking for that I remember when I was a kid about an American that gets torpedoed but eventualy sinks the German U-Boat but If I remember dies himself in the process? Any ideas?

Jock

How many Brits have already posted here and not mentioned 'Zulu'?

The Yanks would kill for a story as good as that! ( O.K. Little Big Horn and the Alamo are similar, but not quite the same quality rendition on film.)

This is the WRF, not, as many assume the WW2WRF... C'mon fella's take a closer look at your country's proud history first!!! We are the envy of the world when it comes to this stuff!!!

I am being deliberately contentious here, but go watch the film again and tell me it doesn't stir something in you that can make a man from the 'Angry Islands' as proud as hell!!

The film is equal in it's portrayal of both sides, with a nice 'war is hell' finish. I love many, many other films of warfare already mentioned here,(nice one with'A matter of life and death', theres a man who appreciates ground breaking filmwork!) but the quotes that can be picked from 'Zulu' are legion, there's just so many!!!

It launched the career of one of Britains greatest living actors,Sir Michael Caine, so i'll leave it on one of his many superb lines in that very memorable film...

Lt. Bromhead : "Sixty!! We dropped at least sixty, wouldn't you say?

Adendorff: "Well that leaves only 3940."

Bloody great!!!

"Men of Harlech can't you see them....."

Lump in my throat, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    How many Brits have already posted here and not mentioned 'Zulu'?

The Yanks would kill for a story as good as that! ( O.K. Little Big Horn and the Alamo are similar, but not quite the same quality rendition on film.)

This is the WRF, not, as many assume the WW2WRF... C'mon fella's take a closer look at your country's proud history first!!! We are the envy of the world when it comes to this stuff!!!

I am being deliberately contentious here, but go watch the film again and tell me it doesn't stir something in you that can make a man from the 'Angry Islands' as proud as hell!!

The film is equal in it's portrayal of both sides, with a nice 'war is hell' finish. I love many, many other films of warfare already mentioned here,(nice one with'A matter of life and death', theres a man who appreciates ground breaking filmwork!) but the quotes that can be picked from 'Zulu' are legion, there's just so many!!!

It launched the career of one of Britains greatest living actors,Sir Michael Caine, so i'll leave it on one of his many superb lines in that very memorable film...

Lt. Bromhead : "Sixty!! We dropped at least sixty, wouldn't you say?

Adendorff: "Well that leaves only 3940."

Bloody great!!!

"Men of Harlech can't you see them....."

Lump in my throat, Ned.
    "The sentry reports Zulus sir!...........Thousands of them!
    Agreed Ned, not only the best war film but the best film ever!!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

desert rats
    dirty dzozen
    big red one
    saving private ryan
    patton
    a bridge too far
    longest day

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast