Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

War Films

Article about: Saving Private Ryan Bridge Too Far Enemy At The Gates ( a bit cheesy but I liked Rachel Weiss as a Russian soldier)! We were Soldiers Platoon Nick

?

Default Re: War Films

Hi Nick,

I've just looked at the DVD and Christopher Good played the part of Major Carlyle.

I know this famous line was intend to be spoken by Lt. Col. Johnny Frost as played by Anthony Hopkins, however Hopkins didn't think that this was a suitable, and after discussing this with the real Major Frost he thought it would be best to give the line to Christopher Good. So in the final take as seen in the film, he just appears in the background after saying instead "Tell them to go to hell" (Johnny Frost real response) and when the scenes complete he just looks at his watch as states "Alright".

Nige.

P.S.

I agree about Nigel Green

A very fine actor, I know its not a war military role as such however as Major Dolby in " The Ipcress file" once again he is spot on.

"A word in your shell like ear"

"I'll bite you Palmer, and send you right back to where Ross found you"
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Quote by Nige H View Post
    Hi Nick,

I've just looked at the DVD and Christopher Good played the part of Major Carlyle.

I know this famous line was intend to be spoken by Lt. Col. Johnny Frost as played by Anthony Hopkins, however Hopkins didn't think that this was a suitable, and after discussing this with the real Major Frost he thought it would be best to give the line to Christopher Good. So in the final take as seen in the film, he just appears in the background after saying instead "Tell them to go to hell" (Johnny Frost real response) and when the scenes complete he just looks at his watch as states "Alright".

Nige.

P.S.

I agree about Nigel Green

A very fine actor, I know its not a war military role as such however as Major Dolby in " The Ipcress file" once again he is spot on.

"A word in your shell like ear"

"I'll bite you Palmer, and send you right back to where Ross found you"

Nige

Christopher Good!..of course! Interesting facts about that line thanks!

Nigel Green was he in Z Cars? Nige you might be too young to remember that programme!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Nige H View Post
    Some from A bridge too far

Lt Col. Vandeleur

"Have you ever been liberated ?"

Col. Stout

"I've got divorced twice, if that counts"

Maj. General Urqhart ( MUST be quoted in a Sean Connery voice for best results )

"Hancock, I've got lunatics laughing at me from the woods, my original plan has been scuppered now that the jeeps haven't arrived, my commutations have completely broken down, do you really believe that this can all be helped by a cup tea?"

Handcock

"It couldn't hurt Sir!"

Nige.
    An absolute classic line!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

3mk
    ?

Not in order
    A Bridge To Far
    Great Escape
    The eagles have landed
    Katyn
    Kanal(Polish film heres the link to watch with English sub titles i reccomend it YouTube - K//KKNNAL PART 1 1957)
    Dirty Dozen
    Does anybody know whats the name of the movie where commandos do a raid some where in France i think and there ends up being a bomb in a ship that didnt blow up so a commando goes and blows it up himself killing himself, well thats how i think the movie was

Quote by 3mk View Post
    Not in order
    A Bridge To Far
    Great Escape
    The eagles have landed
    Katyn
    Kanal(Polish film heres the link to watch with English sub titles i reccomend it YouTube - K//KKNNAL PART 1 1957)
    Dirty Dozen
    Does anybody know whats the name of the movie where commandos do a raid some where in France i think and there ends up being a bomb in a ship that didnt blow up so a commando goes and blows it up himself killing himself, well thats how i think the movie was
    Not sure of the film you are asking about.

Really enjoyed Katyn

Nick

3mk
    ?

Ill try checking out some of the movies you guys stated and see if one of thems the one i watched

Quote by ALLERBERGER View Post
    Apocalypse Now .

Kilgore - " I love the smell of napalm in the morning "
    Robert Duvall at his best!!

Nick

Quote by Wolfspear View Post
    Brilliant Ned!

Another one went something like this;
    " I'm going to die Seargent Major!".."No you are not going to die son until I tell you youre going to die"

Keep em coming!

Nick

Alright Nick, Try these two!!

Surgeon Major Reynolds: "Orderly damn it!! will you keep the flies away!!
    Damn you Chard!!...Damn all you butchers!!"

And: Private Hook." Rourkes Drift... It'd take an irishmen to give his name to a rotten, stinkin', middle o' nowhere hole like this...!!

And so it goes on...Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hmmm
    Young Lions
    Das Boot
    All Quiet on the Western Front......family member comited suicide after watching the film when it first came out; he was a WWI combat vet
    Cross of Iron
    Saving Pvt.Ryan......one of my uncles who recently passed; survived D day.....wounded the day after......in his words; it cannot come even close to how bad it was.......film does not show the smells the feels...........the horror............
    Apocalypse Now

Quote by big ned View Post
    Alright Nick, Try these two!!

Surgeon Major Reynolds: "Orderly damn it!! will you keep the flies away!!
    Damn you Chard!!...Damn all you butchers!!"

And: Private Hook." Rourkes Drift... It'd take an irishmen to give his name to a rotten, stinkin', middle o' nowhere hole like this...!!

And so it goes on...Ned.
    Ned

You are an authority on Zulu!

Maybe we should start an official fan club!

Nick

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast