Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Wartime hotels, restaurants and bars

Article about: As a hotelier of long standing I like to see period photos of hotels, restaurants and bars particularly with a military connection. I saw this one yesterday of Aussies drinking at an improvi

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Cheers cobbers !!

Nick
    Surely this has been photoshopped! Aussies drinking beer, I'm shocked!

Okay, not a wartime photo, but how it is today. 22 German soldiers stayed in this bar on the Dutch - Belgian border up to late 1944. I spoke to the land lady many times about the bar in the war (she has past away now). She once told me she got herself in serious trouble one night when she went up the attick to check on her baby. She had a small oil lamp, and the German soldiers sleeping in the Inn thought she was signaling to British planes.
    One night after all the customers had left she told me her husband had kept a German machine gun the soldiers had left behind on the attick. It had been there ever since, and she told me I could have it. It turned out to be a MP40 (bnz40) in a Canadian canvas cover. Also in the shed I found some K98 bayonets and mess tins that she gave me.
    Right opposite the pub near a field the Canadian soldiers filled a bomb crater with German stuff. I know exacly where the dump is.
    This is what the pub looks like now. There was a Sherman tank abadonnend near the tree on the photo that stood there for many years after the war.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great story

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

American soldiers raising their glasses outside a bombed out street cafe in La Haye du Puits, France

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8