Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

What does the First World War mean to you?

Article about: My Grandfather having his ankle shot away at the Somme, disabled for life in an instant. He was relatively lucky though. Andy

?

Default Re: What does the First World War mean to you?

Quote by Sir Payne View Post
    Hi Paul,

The thread title suggest that we are suppose to post our own perspective of WWI, not everyone else's perspective. It may not seem like a forgotten war to you, but to me, being an American, it does seem that way. It may be difficult to understand what I am talking about, but if you lived here you would see the same thing. In contrast, I think if I lived in the UK or France or Germany then my perspective of the war would change.

Regards,
    Corey
    Not difficult to understand Corey just a little surprising , the reason i posted was to learn of the younger generation in the States perspective of the War so thanks for the insight !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I see WWI as a forgotten moment in history. It was overshadowed by the greater conflict that happened afterwards. Twenty million people were killed during WWI, but sixty million were killed during WWII. One could argue that WWII happened because of WWI. WWI was only a stepping stone leading to something far worse.

I have not put much study into WWI, although I have a few dusty books on my shelf, so I am not up to date on the current theories. I don't think there is anything wrong with revisionist theories. History needs to be updated and rewritten when new information comes to light. Thinking about this has sparked my interest, and I think I might dig into a few of my WWI books.

Regards,
    Corey
    Just been reading through this thread, I totally disagree with the above comments. WW1 is not a forgotten moment in History at all, not in Europe what so ever. It will be 100 years next year, the Centenary of the beginning of the “Great War “as it were.

Visit a location such as below, it will never be a forgotten moment in History
    Attached Images Attached Images

No, Paul-I take no offense at anything that you have said and never did. When comments like the one that I quoted in my posting especially to avoid this sort of public reprimand are posted, it was to show Exactly what I was illuminating and the still lingering feelings today in some people's minds of the sentiment that I mentioned. There was and is no "mud slinging" intended here and hopefully was not perceived as such by others. The point being that in spite of the fact that America was not devastated in the same fashion as in war-torn Europe that it should somehow lessen it's involvement or right to make observations on the situation, This is what I was trying to say, is all. Now put down the tar bucket...."All is Quiet on the Western Front!"
    Last edited by Wagriff; 02-07-2013 at 11:02 PM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    Just been reading through this thread, I totally disagree with the above comments. WW1 is not a forgotten moment in History at all, not in Europe what so ever.
    Will you please read the thread title. It is asking for individual perspectives. Also, I'm not in Europe, I'm in the United States.

Will you please read the thread title. It is asking for individual perspectives. Also, I'm not in Europe, I'm in the United States.
    Hi,

Yes, as you say, you are in the USA, which is a long way away from Europe, perhaps that is why it is becoming a forgotton moment in History in the US ?

Woodrow Wilson was reluctant for the US to enter the War until the German U-Boat Policy changed and US citizens lost their lives. Again Roosevelt was reluctant to enter another " European War" until Japan bombed Pearl Harbour and Germany declared war on the US.

Perhaps WW1 had less of an impact on the US than it did in Europe, hence the reason for its apparent demise from public perception?

Hi

As has already been mentioned The Great War has not been forgotten (well not in GB anyway). In fact publicity has risen after the death of the last British trench veteran, Harry Patch. And as has also already been said with the approaching 100th anniversary, I am sure there will be many more families tracing their relatives involvement in the war.

Thanks

Cameron
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have read Harry's book, he was a good honest hard working man

?

I was fortunate (if that is indeed the correct word) to attend Harry Patch's funeral. I wasn't able to go inside the Cathedral but stood outside with the thousands of other people who wanted to pay their respects to this man.

It was heartening to see so many children there and to hear them ask parents, family members questions about the Great War and about Mr Patch.

The Great War is not a forgotten War here. Look at every Remembrance Sunday.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

4md
    ?

A few images from the Vignacourt collection, some of these images say everything to me about ww1

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I was fortunate (if that is indeed the correct word) to attend Harry Patch's funeral. I wasn't able to go inside the Cathedral but stood outside with the thousands of other people who wanted to pay their respects to this man.

It was heartening to see so many children there and to hear them ask parents, family members questions about the Great War and about Mr Patch.

The Great War is not a forgotten War here. Look at every Remembrance Sunday.
    Eloquently put Adrian.

Perhaps they might have let you in if you hadn't insisted turning up in period uniform.

9273601_gal.jpg

But seriously, the Great War has more resonance in this country and Europe as it was a prolonged, bloody and bitter slog using new equipment and old tactics that caused the entire continent's flower of youth to be practically wiped out. This was not the case for the Americans, and so it is understandable to see some of the reasoning and feeling that has been given here. But without Uncle Sam, we would not have prevailed, and for that we thank them.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast