Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

What happened to Joachim Peipers things?

Article about: Residents also wrote this on the road to his house, it was later washed away.

Default Re: What happened to Joachim Peipers things?

Yes, i would also like to know of any of his uniforms that in collectors hands, or museums.

Thanks
    Brian

Quote by AdrianC View Post
    Sorry Nick, nothing in the pics belongs to Peiper. I didn't see his stuff last time I went and since the museum changed it's layout. It was a few years ago I saw his belongings when the museum was in it's previous and better state.
    I only posted the pics to give an idea of how the place is today. I couldn't find any photos from my previous visit.
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would add a few things. Much of Peiper's personal belongings were probably stolen after his capture. This was common. What happened to it? Who knows? In the attic of some American soldier's house? There are pictures of him in later life wearing his favorite leather jacket. His son Hinrich, who looks a lot like him, is a very highly-placed executive in Deutsche Bank. The last time I heard, he had residences in Germany and New York. Anything that was still in Peiper's possession when the communists murdered him which was not destroyed is probably in his son's possession now. He still owns the house in Traves where his father was murdered and is leaving it in the exact condition it was in the morning after the attack.

?

Quote by 2shelbys View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I thought I would add a few things. Much of Peiper's personal belongings were probably stolen after his capture. This was common. What happened to it? Who knows? In the attic of some American soldier's house? There are pictures of him in later life wearing his favorite leather jacket. His son Hinrich, who looks a lot like him, is a very highly-placed executive in Deutsche Bank. The last time I heard, he had residences in Germany and New York. Anything that was still in Peiper's possession when the communists murdered him which was not destroyed is probably in his son's possession now. He still owns the house in Traves where his father was murdered and is leaving it in the exact condition it was in the morning after the attack.
    Thanks for the update as you say much of the stuff in museums that claims to be from Peiper seems to have no prevenance to him !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Very interesting thread. I'm interested in the story about Peiper. I heard a book has been published a year or two ago with new information about his death (murder), the police files that have never been published before. Anybody read the book? Is it translated to English?
    I never knew his house in Traves still belonged to the family as the major of the village wanted them to leave when the rumour spread who was living there.
    In fact Peiper was told he had to leave France as his permit was not extended. I'll go to Traves soon (not very far from where I live) and take some pictures of the house. For what I know the original house was knocked down after the fire, and another house was built on the spot, but I'll go and see for myself if that's true. Will be a bit strange to ask where the house of Peiper is in Traves, don't know if the locals will help me out on that one!
    I just finished a book on Rommel, and found out his possesions where also stolen just before his death, like his visor and batton, but where returned after a day!
    If I find the spot where the house was, or still is, would there be any interest here for the pictures? And are there any other places there I should go? Don't think Peiper has a grave there?
    Here's a picture of the house in flames, on the 13th of july 1976. Don't think it is still in ruines, but that it is rebuilt in the '80's, and no longer belongs to the family.
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

Anyone intersetd in Peiper needs a copy of Patrick Agte's Jochen Peiper Commander Panzer Regiment Leibstandarte !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I was told Agte's books are not very relaible, and that Agte is "person non grata" on the I. SS-Panzerkorps reunions, because of what he has written.
    I'm more interested on the new book written on the matter Peiper that was published some while ago.

Found some more info on the matter, will be going there soon to see what is still left there. Also read that somebody has stolen his mailbox after the attack; bet that's in somebody's private collection now!
    Attached Images Attached Images

John P. Moore and others have said that the comments about Agte are really not justified or true. I have not addressed the situation with any of the veterans I am in touch with but the last time I heard from him, about my subscription to "Der Friewillige", his response was on the letterhead of the 1. SS Panzerkorps Kameradschaft.

Peiper had just begun writing a book on Malmedy and it's aftermath when he was murdered. That would have been an interesting read. Only a couple of researchers have touched on the evidence supporting the German side of that event, and there is a lot to think about there.

One of the highlights of my signed photo collection is a postwar signed photo of Peiper. I have only seen one other one.
    Last edited by 2shelbys; 09-27-2011 at 04:07 PM.

I'm going to Traves this week, and I'll take some pictures of the ruine of Peipers house.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast