Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What might this be, please - optical content?

Article about: Might anybody know what this optical device might be? The optical device has a horizontal line running across and two slightly diagonal lines running inwards at the top at around 75/80˚

?

Default What might this be, please - optical content?

Might anybody know what this optical device might be?

The optical device has a horizontal line running across and two slightly diagonal lines running inwards at the top at around 75/80˚..

Markings: crown, 1942 and AM

Default Re: What might this be, please - optical content?

Sorry if I state the obvious, but the "AM" will be Air Ministry. So British whatever it is.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

is this the only photo , does it turn , unscrew, open in any way , as Ade said it is definately British , i suspect it might be a guage of some description but wait for a few more opinions one of the RRPG guys should know

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Sorry if I state the obvious, but the "AM" will be Air Ministry. So British whatever it is.

Cheers, Ade.
    No need to be sorry; Im not British and it wasnt obvious to me, so just very thankful for any help/suggestions.

The bloke who owns the device suggested, that the AM marking meant that as well.

'Air Ministry' and British - check.

Thanks, Ade.

?

Quote by davejb View Post
    is this the only photo , does it turn , unscrew, open in any way , as Ade said it is definately British , i suspect it might be a guage of some description but wait for a few more opinions one of the RRPG guys should know
    I have no clue whether it unscrews or some such thing. No idea what it is. Im hadicapped by the fact, that its not mine and I havent held it.

Looks very much like the sighting optic from an Aldis signalling lamp. If you do a web search you'll see there are slightly varying types of these that were used.

Regards, Ned.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Excellent suggestion, Ned! Looks very much like a variation of just that after perusing pics of several models of the lamp.

A big thank you to Big Ned.