Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

what is the oldest item you have in your collection?

Article about: I too have a small collection of fossils etc. But in terms of militaria the oldest item I have is probably a Napoleonic era British Artillery button that came in a box of odds at auction. Th

Not too old but still nice. That coin is in my family for generations.
    DSC_0010.jpgDSC_0011.jpg

Quote by GreekMilitaria View Post
    maybe we are the only ones :P
    i think its a good way of preserving your nations ancient history. ive been to crete and santorini. i loved both islands.

Quote by geelong View Post
    i think its a good way of preserving your nations ancient history. ive been to crete and santorini. i loved both islands.
    yes they are wonderful islands

Quote by helmetone View Post
    His country may not have any laws against it. That would be legal to own in the US. And if you keep it in your house, who is going to know you even have it?
    In Denmark it is illegal to own, sell and distribute things that are considered "Danefæ".

A quick introduction for people not living in Denmark: Treasure Act 1996 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As far as I am aware Norway and Sweden have similar laws against selling cultural / historical artefacts that belong to the entire population, not one individual. I can't comment on the legality of artefacts recovered in less museum friendly countries, that is later sold to people living in Scandinavia.

Later years, people have been allowed to keep some stone axes and arrowheads (non metal items), since they are not particular rare or valuable. But all finds must be shown to the nearest museum, since the axe / arrowhead you have found could be a one of. Area of discovery must also be reported since it could be a place of great archaeological interest.

The oldest helmet in my Collection.
    A standard Infantrymans helmet model 1895 with field cover.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote by scheppdk View Post
    The oldest helmet in my Collection.
    A standard Infantrymans helmet model 1895 with field cover.
    great helmet still has its camo

Quote by GreekMilitaria View Post
    great helmet still has its camo
    Thanks

?

Apologies for the lack of photos, but, as a British medals collector, my oldest item is an original January 1881 Army List. I guess I would also include my great-great- grandfather's pocket bible that he carried during the Civil War. As a cavalry trooper, he could lug around a bit more than an infantryman.

BobS

I think the Greek laws are designed to protect cultural items disappearing into private hands, but mostly items dug / found today. There are huge numbers of items in private hands already whose provenance has been lost, mostly items collected over the past two centuries. I have some small Greek items, also some Greek coins. They are perfectly legal to own in this country. However, I couldn't go to Greece, or anywhere for that matter, and just dig something up and keep it. Here in the UK you have to declare anything of value found, it may go to a museum if important enough (the finder receiving a financial reward based on its value) or, if not of cultural importance, you, or the landowner, get to keep it.

Anyhow, here are some tools I own.

Small flint Danish neolithic axe, circa 5000 years old and a late Bronze age axe from Northern France, circa 700BC. These would have been used by early Europeans clearing woods and fields. These flint axes are quite common.

Attachment 562210Attachment 562209

An ancient copper knife blade found in northern Ontario, Canada.

Obverse.jpgReverse.jpg

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast