MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

what is the oldest item you have in your collection?

Article about: I too have a small collection of fossils etc. But in terms of militaria the oldest item I have is probably a Napoleonic era British Artillery button that came in a box of odds at auction. Th

?

Lars, I like these orthodox pictures.My great uncle has some of them with metal on them. They display nicely

Here is my other oldest item in my collection. It's a Viking mug/stein (steins have lids). It's from Norway and has been in my family since 1640. It was passed down to me by my grandfather, Michael Scroggins.
    It depicts a lion with a crown carved on the lid. Another lion sits at the top of the handle but his crown has broken off some time ago. It's carved from a piece of birch burl/root.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dean; 09-03-2013 at 09:58 PM.

?

That is a really nice item indeed Dean Great history to it as well. Very impressive you had it in your family's possession for that long. Nice of you to bring it to the forum.

Regards, Lars
    Last edited by Datrus; 09-03-2013 at 09:56 PM.

?

Thanks, Lars yeah, this survived the oct.17th 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake when I was a kid. It was the only thing that didn't fall over or off the shelf! Unfortunately the bronze Viking statue that was next to it fell and his arm holding the sword broke off
    It's on the shelf above the lamp in this pic taken on aug.10th, a couple months before the 7.4 quake.

Update-
    Here's the aftermath..
    I was sitting in the chair by the window reading a book when it hit.

Wow so many amazing items

And great to see some with a family history as well.

Cheers, Mads

it's very nice to see this mug that has been in your family for so many years also very interesting coins Dean

Quote by Datrus View Post
    15th century Russian icon

Attachment 564105

Regards, Lars
    great item Lars as an orthodox myself i like it very much!! i also have some very old icons in my countryside's house

?

Well

I "have" these items in my collection. But still i have not.. Because i have placed them in a musem. Still they are rare pieces, and i am registered as the ones who found them. So now the children of the future can learn something about WHERE these pieces were found, HOW they were found. GPS data also.
    I have found acouple of other pieces also, but i cant recall where i have placed the photos.

Like trond's items, these are things I could not keep as they were found on excavation, except those in the last picture.

The first picture are flint hand axes from Swanscombe in Kent in England and date from circa 300,000 years BC from the lower paleolithic period, the second picture is 4 views of a late upper paleolithic or mesolithic period axe from near Chepstow in S. Wales and were found by me, except on in the first picture.

The last picture are ones that I still have, some I dug up and others I bought.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Very nice items! Trondk, I like the mace ( I think that's what it is). I especially love the "Thors' hammer"! Are they Saxon or Viking ?

Jerry, those are some great blades! Very ancient historical value to them. Thanks for sharing, gentlemen.
    Dean.

?

Quote by TrondK View Post
    Well

I "have" these items in my collection. But still i have not.. Because i have placed them in a musem. Still they are rare pieces, and i am registered as the ones who found them. So now the children of the future can learn something about WHERE these pieces were found, HOW they were found. GPS data also.
    I have found acouple of other pieces also, but i cant recall where i have placed the photos.
    Fine items Trond! What are they and from which period? I am quite sure the big spiky thing is a "club head" of some sort.

Cheers mate

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast