Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What really happened in'Englandspiel'

Article about: Hello, I have just read a book on the whole event and wanted to know what is everyones take on Englandspiel? Was it down to Dutch double agents such as the first ones to land in Holland? The

Default Re: What really happened in'Englandspiel'

There is merit to Big Ned's explanation.
    There is however also the school of thought that the SOE was "playing" the Germans, how true that is I don't know. How many people does one sacrifice?

Tom

Quote by StuG III View Post
    There is merit to Big Ned's explanation.
    There is however also the school of thought that the SOE was "playing" the Germans, how true that is I don't know. How many people does one sacrifice?

Tom
    I have only touched on one aspect of the systematic shortcomings of SOE during the war. There were many, many more things that went wrong that will never be known about that's for sure. It's worth remembering that the first casualty of espionage is morality.....Every single time. And it's still happening today, just look at the guy in the zipped up holdall in the bath not long back.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

To everyone who is interested to see more
    Amazon.com: The Secret War: Season 1, Episode 7 "Dead on Arrival": Amazon Instant Video however you have to pay $2

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    One learns something new every day about WW2

Nick
    X2, very interesting!..

I have seen a number of documentaries lately regarding SOE, they were all volunteers, they knew the risks, 50/50 chance of survival, extremely brave individuals all of them.
    There were systematic shortcomings in all spheres of the services, it was war, people were under pressure, and a lot of brave people lost their lives by mistakes being made

A great deal of the SOE shortcomings are detailed in 'Forgotten Voices of the Secret War' by Roderick Bailey (ISBN 9780091918514) which repeats recorded interviews with SOE veterans as held in the archives of the IWM.

I think there is a saying,there are none so devious as the british.just look how our goverment takes our minds off the main things that effect us all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2