Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

What are you currently reading?

Article about: I always enjoy stumbling on good books that I haven't read or noticed before. Please share the book or books that you are currently reading . I'm sorry if a thread of this sort has already b

Well, I am currently reading Moriah, the fourth book in a series of post-apocalyptic zombie horror novels by Tony Monchinski, but surely, this thread is intended to be about military-/history-related literature.

When it comes to this category, the last two books I had recently read were: Himmler privat - Briefe eines Massenmörders (letters by Heinrich and Marga Himmler, selected and annotated by Katrin Himmler and Michael Wildt) and Patrick Stenson's Titanic Voyager - The Odyssey of C.H. Lightoller (who has long been my personal hero of sorts).

Already purchased, but as of yet unread are A Higher Call by Adam Markos & Larry Alexander and Born A Soldier - The Life and Times of Larry Thorne by J. Michael Cleverley.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Well, I am currently reading Moriah, the fourth book in a series of post-apocalyptic zombie horror novels by Tony Monchinski, but surely, this thread is intended to be about military-/history-related literature.

When it comes to this category, the last two books I had recently read were: Himmler privat - Briefe eines Massenmörders (letters by Heinrich and Marga Himmler, selected and annotated by Katrin Himmler and Michael Wildt) and Patrick Stenson's Titanic Voyager - The Odyssey of C.H. Lightoller (who has long been my personal hero of sorts).

Already purchased, but as of yet unread are A Higher Call by Adam Markos & Larry Alexander and Born A Soldier - The Life and Times of Larry Thorne by J. Michael Cleverley.
    The book about Lauri Törni is sadly a very biased and full of made up segments. A lot of things in the book, that he supposedly did or said, are simply made up by the writers imaginations. The thing about Lauri Törni is that there is very little information about him and the writers turned him into this epic hero. There is a great new Finnish book on this subject: Tuntematon Lauri Törni (Unknown Lauri Törni) that investigates this phenomena.

Quote by Aleksander P View Post
    The book about Lauri Törni is sadly a very biased and full of made up segments. A lot of things in the book, that he supposedly did or said, are simply made up by the writers imaginations. The thing about Lauri Törni is that there is very little information about him and the writers turned him into this epic hero. There is a great new Finnish book on this subject: Tuntematon Lauri Törni (Unknown Lauri Törni) that investigates this phenomena.
    Thanks for the heads-up; will keep that in mind when I read it. I take it that the Finnish book is not available in an English or German translation?

Thanks for the heads-up; will keep that in mind when I read it. I take it that the Finnish book is not available in an English or German translation?
    No problem. Sadly, it isn't available translated but I will inform you if it does come. It could be plausible, since it's the only book that offers that kind of view to the man itself.

Quote by Scout View Post
    Most excellent writer and book.
    One has to read Beevor as reference, if one is the slightest interested in the War IMO.
    All Beevor' books I've read so far are excellent. Bloodlands is also worth a read - Brutal reading though.

Currently Im reading "Pioniere nach Vorn!" by Wanhöfer which is about about a Pioneer commander belonging to Wiking during the push for Caucasus and the following retreat. After being wounded he is transfered to Nederland participating in the battle of Narwa and the retreat to the Courland pocket.

I have just started reading this one. Makes for some interesting reading and has some good information regarding things such as enlistment practices, building of camps to accommodate massive influx of soldiers etc.

Recently read ' Trust me you will survive' by Dominik Stoltman, an autobiography DS was a Pole in west Poland. It details his eand his families experiences under German occupation, DS's membership of the partisans his periods of forced labour and conscription into the German army. A good and balanced read, his ethnic german neighbours dont come out so well however his views on individual Germans is balanced some he detested others he really likes. I would recommend the book as I have not previously read a memoir from this point of view.

Am currently reading years of Weimar and the Third Reich, an academic work that is very interesting and also some Romantic poetry by Byron ( don't ask, its part of my University work)

?

Actually, its not that big a leap from a book about post-apocalyptic zombie horrors to Himmler

On a more serious note; Larty Thorne is a most interesting subject. Ive mentioned him in passing here before.

?

Quote by Shadwellarmy View Post
    All Beevor' books I've read so far are excellent. Bloodlands is also worth a read - Brutal reading though.
    Agree on all counts.

I havent read anything in about 5 years, except military magazines etc... hahahaha

Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast