Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

What are you currently reading?

Article about: I always enjoy stumbling on good books that I haven't read or noticed before. Please share the book or books that you are currently reading . I'm sorry if a thread of this sort has already b

Serious reading: D-Day by Stephen E Ambrose

Evening bathtime reading: Red Star Rising by Anne McCaffrey

The Dead and Those About to Die. About the 1st ID on D-Day. Have not finished it yet, excellent so far.

I knew Stephen Ambrose-he used to live down the road from me years ago. He was a very congenial and polite man. A very dedicated and intellectual historian and researcher. His son and daughter, unfortunately, are total opposites of him.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

I have run out of books to read. So now I am looking through what the Missus calls boys books!!. The book is printed by Osprey Publishings, & is the Grey Wolf." U-boat Crewman of WW2"...In all fairness it isn't a bad book at all.But it won't last 2 mores days bedtime reading then I will be staring at the ceiling..Until I get home & resupply.Cheers Terry

I enjoy Stephen's books - he has a style of writing that really draws you into what he's trying to say. Max Hastings is the same. Might read "Pegasus Bridge" next while I'm in the D-day mood...

Lets bump this thread back up.

I'm currently reading Teemu Keskisarja - Viipuri 1918. The book is about the city during the Finnish Civil War.

Keskisarja_Viipuri.jpg

Enjoying this one so far. Just finished Blood Red Snow.

image.jpg

Redcoat: The British Soldier in the Age of Horse and Musket by Richard Holmes another military author who has passed away in recent years.

Richard Holmes was one of Britain's most successful historians and television presenters. Author of the best-selling Tommy, Redcoat and Wellington: The Iron Duke, he has also written and presented television series for the BBC. As well as serving in the TA, he taught military history at Sandhurst and, latterly, as Professor of Military and Security Studies at Cranfield University and the Royal Military College of Science. Richard Holmes died suddenly on 30 April 2011 from pneumonia, aged 65.

Redcoat: The British Soldier in the Age of Horse and Musket: Amazon.co.uk: Richard Holmes: Books
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I'm currently reading a copy of: 'The first Hundred Thousand' written by Captain John Hay Beith under the pen name of Ian Hay. It charts the early days of WW1 from joining up in 1914 through to deployment in Belgium in 1915. It was originally written in novel form and published in parts, but was eventually brought out as a book around 1916. it is an unofficial account of Captain Beith's unit. I have read the book several times in the past, and it has never failed to move me. I came across this period Popular Edition in an antiquarian book shop for the princely sum of £2 in Cheshire last week. If you are interested in WW1, this is one book you should not miss. It is still in print and available on Amazon.

I've just started When Hitler stole Pink Rabbit by Judith Kerr as recommended by my daughter.

cheers

Tony

Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast