Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is your favorite item that was "donated" or passed down to you?

Article about: Very nice story, Danny! It sounds like your grandfather caused quite a panick! It's ashame how things go when a family member passes. There's been quite a few instances in my family such as

?

Talking What is your favorite item that was "donated" or passed down to you?

So I was looking through some of the items in my collection earlier (maybe I wore an item or two – don’t judge me, you know you’ve done it too!) and it got me to thinking, then my head hurt.

After the headache cleared, it made me wonder how many of you out there have have items that were donated, passed down or given to you for a small fee or favor.

It’s amazing how when you show how much passion you have for this hobby, or lifestyle depending on your level of collecting, that people say, “I have such and such I’d much rather you have it as you’ll appreciate it”.

Since getting into this hobby, I’ve had quite a few donations from friends and family members. I always return the favor with a token of appreciation (case of beer, or help with something). I’ve also been invited to some house clean outs where as payment for my labor, I was permitted to keep any items of interest to me.

So, what is your favorite “donation”? Post pictures of course as I’d love to see them.

For me, it’s a few items. First is the p38 can opener that my father in-law carried with him during his two tours in Vietnam. He held onto this for years after and one day not long ago he said, “You have it. It’s one of the only items I still have from the war. It served me well but has been hanging on a key chain since and it’s time I got rid of it.” I now display it proudly.

The other is a grouping of items that belonged to my manager’s grandfather who served in the Army during WWI. It consisted of his field binoculars, trench knife, victory medal, discharge insignia, rank insignia and various collar tabs. In appreciation of a job well done, he gave these items to me. I still returned the favor with a bottle of his favorite booze.

I look forward to seeing your items!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (119.9 KB, 57 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (211.6 KB, 47 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (214.5 KB, 40 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (153.2 KB, 48 views)

Default Re: What is your favorite item that was "donated" or passed down to you?

...some guy gave me this japanese visor...only thing is im not into japanese militaria...lol....

?

Default Re: What is your favorite item that was "donated" or passed down to you?

These 3 items were given to me by a woman whose father-in-law died,she said she just wanted the evil things out of the house...
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Mine is definitely my grandfather's visor cap from when he was in the USAAF/USAF. He joined the reserves in '42, and was called up until '45, and then called back up again in '50 for the Korean War, but was transferred from the Army to the Air Force. The hat itself is awesome because it's an Army cap with a transitional USAF insignia from '47. There was only a small window in which these were issued, and I have only seen one other one like it...

Got a couple but this is my favorite gave to me by a old neighbor that got it from his bro inlaw. P38
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (69.4 KB, 34 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (41.6 KB, 34 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (58.5 KB, 56 views)

Quote by ez1969 View Post
    Got a couple but this is my favorite gave to me by a old neighbor that got it from his bro inlaw. P38
    The other is a provision bag cut out have lots others but these are what are close to me
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (79.4 KB, 37 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (127.7 KB, 29 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (79.8 KB, 29 views)

Quote by ez1969 View Post
    I really like it,sooooooooo lucky.I would like someone to give me one.

?

Some very nice items, gentlemen! I especially like the P38 and the USAF visor.

Keep em coming!

?

Great thread idea. Nice to see what people really value in their collections...
    Matthew

This has to probably be the most prized possession I own. Very simple and not valuable to everyone else however its the sentimental value of this which makes it important to me. This Mills Bomb was originally issued to my Great Grandad who was part of the Home Gaurd during WW2.
    During his time in the home gaurd he didnt do much apart from practice as the Germans didnt get into Scotland that much so he wasnt terribly busy. At the end of the war a large amount of explosives was left over, not knowing what to do with them he carried them all into the middle of a field and positioned them underneath a lone tree. He emptied the contents of this Mills Bomb so he it would be a nice safe reminder of his service. On retreating to a safe distance he detonated the explosives, this caused a massive explosion which was said to have launched the tree into the air and make the ground shake. On returning to his village everyone was in panic and hiding inside as they thought they were under attack
    I dont know how he managed to get off with that, but somehow he did

Sadly he passed away not long after I was born, so I never got to hear this, or many other storys from him. The majority of his possessions were sadly sold off or thrown out by other family member who got to his things first. The only item that my side of the family recieved was this Mills Bomb, which is now in my hands and will be passed down if I ever have kids.

Thanks, and the other items and stories here are great

Thanks

Danny

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast