Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What is your favorite item that was "donated" or passed down to you?

Article about: Very nice story, Danny! It sounds like your grandfather caused quite a panick! It's ashame how things go when a family member passes. There's been quite a few instances in my family such as

?

Default Re: What is your favorite item that was "donated" or passed down to you?

Very nice story, Danny! It sounds like your grandfather caused quite a panick! It's ashame how things go when a family member passes. There's been quite a few instances in my family such as you describe. Some have caused family members to not talk for years because so and so wanted this. Even to the point of family sneaking items out of the house of the person who passed.

Your story also goes to show that typical items that you may see at a show or yard sale, you might pass on, but at one point could have been invaluable to someone else.

Default Re: What is your favorite item that was "donated" or passed down to you?

Great idea for a thread.

My favorite piece and one that I will never sell is a simple
    ww1 sawtooth bayonet. It was given to me along with
    a M16 helmet on my 16th birthday (1972) by a close friend
    of the family who was the widow of the vet who picked
    them up off the battlefield during ww1. She was one of the
    sweetest ladies I have ever known and this bayo means way,
    way more to me than it's collector value in $$$.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

My two favorite things in my collection are my Uncles named M40 Heer helmet and his Garand that was given to me after he passed
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

Very nice, gentlemen!

Chopperman, I've wanted a sawback for my collection for quite some time, but just haven't come across one yet. Your's is in excellent shape!

Homer, Nice M40. I like the crisp, clean decal! The garand is a rifle I've always wanted, too. My grandmother has one in her basement. It belonged to my grandfather who passed a few years ago. I haven't the heart to ask her for it, although I'd love to own it as it would be a nice reminder of my grandfather.

Thanks Yueng, The Garand is coming home with me in august after waiting a few years now, You should probably ask your Grandma about yours before it starts to rust

I agree, you should ask about the Garand instead of leaving it there to gather dust and rust in a basement

Thanks

Danny

you could ask to buy it from her and tell her why you want it who knows maybe she will just give it to you

?

Thanks for the suggestion, guys. The death of my grandfather is still hard for her to discuss. She's not one to open up about things or show emotion like that, so it would be tough to approach her with such a request, even if I did so with no disrespect.

He passed unexpectedly the night of my wedding (not during the actual wedding or reception, but later that night at the hotel they were staying at). There’s good and bad to this though, as it stinks that he passed so unexpectedly, but on the positive side, he spent his last few days with friends and family.

I can tell you that the rifle is secured in a dry place, even if it is in the basement. She's well aware of my interest in military items and when she's ready, I'm sure she will allow me to have it. For now though, it will have to stay where it is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2